Hit on the head by a frog !!

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

mr smokey
spawn
spawn

Hit on the head by a frog !!

Postby mr smokey » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:29 pm

I realise it sounds a bit weird but I was outside last night and this frog dropped (deceased) from above and hit me on the head. I assume it was being carried by an owl or similar as we have several Tawny Owls nesting nearby. I have no idea about frogs. We have lived here for around 25 years and only once or twice seen frogs. Curious as to what it may be.

Trevor
Attachments
frog~2.jpg
frog~3.jpg
frog~1.jpg

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:01 pm

Hi Trevor,

Definitely an unusual way to encounter a frog! Does sound like a Tawny might have dropped it flying overhead. The frog is a Peron's Laughing Tree Frog (Litoria peroni).

Aaron

mr smokey
spawn
spawn

Postby mr smokey » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:23 pm

Thanks Aaron. As mentioned, I wouldn't know a tree frog from Mr Toad of Toad Hall It was, I agree, most unusual - the only explanation i could think of was perhaps an owl dropping it . Are they a common frog? Although we have a very tree'd block, we really don't have any water nearby (really showing my frog ignorance more now :oops: ). We are about to head off to do some "grey nomading" so I may take on a new hobby. I was thinking of "twitching" but not really a bird person, so it ma be frogs to keep an eye out for :wink:

Trevor

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:02 pm

I'm looking forward to when I can call myself a grey nomad in some respects, would be good to just travel around! Yeah the Peron's is a reasonably common frog with a wide distribution through south-east mainland Australia. I began life as a 'frogger' but I developed an interest in 'twitching' to pass time during the day while waiting for the frogs to come out at night. Frogging is a fun past time if you like being up at night. Often its interesting to stop by some water bodies at night and listen and see how many different species are calling. Hearing them is one thing, finding them can be a challenge!

Aaron

Return to “Identification”