Preventing Frogs From Getting into Drain

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

gbig006
spawn
spawn

Preventing Frogs From Getting into Drain

Postby gbig006 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:43 pm

Hi there,

We have had frogs getting into a storm water drain in our small courtyard. They croak and the drain amplifies it and this keeps us awake. I have caught 4 this year in a net and released them down the road.

Prevention is better than cure. Is there an effective way to prevent them to getting in there that people know of? Is there something I can dose into the drain to repel them?

Thanks,

Graham

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:52 pm

Hi Graham,

Do you know what kind of frogs they are? You could try sealing the entrance to the drain with flyscreen or a mesh that will keep the frogs out but still allow water to pass through? I don't think you can do anything to repel them so the most effective method would be to stop the frogs from entering the drain if that is possible.

Aaron

gbig006
spawn
spawn

Postby gbig006 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:27 pm

Hey Aaron,

They are Striped Marsh Frogs, with that typical tock type noise.

I started installing some mesh today and hopefully will have that done by tomorrow night.

Yeah I did a bit of reading today and learnt that they are quite resilient little guys, so i dont think there is anything that would actively repel them and still be safe fr a stormwater drain.

Thanks,

Graham

Return to “Think Tank”