Neighbors complaining about noise – how to remove frogs?

This forum is for all those interested in Australian frogs. Share stories and pictures of your pet frog or tell your tall tale of contact in the wilds of suburbia or bushland.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

p0nd232
spawn
spawn

Neighbors complaining about noise – how to remove frogs?

Postby p0nd232 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:40 pm

Ok so at my house in the backyard we have a birdbath and at the bottom at the base there is a circle pond bit.
We get quite a few frogs there and at night it can get a bit noisy.
This doesn’t bother my family but our neighbors have been complaining a lot.
They say it’s too noisy and they have trouble sleeping which I suppose is fair enough since it is loud.
However we haven’t really done much in an attempt to fix the noise problem so lately they have been giving us some abuse and repaying the favor.
Getting private number calls on our home phone late at night, ringing our door bell at 2am, dirty looks when they see us and lately they seem to have loud music on 24/7 with the bass really high. When they leave the house for the day to do whatever I’m sure they just leave the music blasting with no one home to annoy us. And they keep it going at night as well.

So pretty much we have decided to get rid of our pond as it’s just not worth fighting with our neighbor over this and we have kids so don’t need them feeling threatened or intimidated. We thought about calling the police but there isn’t much they can do since there is no proof it was them ringing our phone and ringing the doorbell and loud music during the day is allowed.

We will drain the pond but is there anything else we have to do?

I’d like to catch the frogs and maybe relocate them somewhere else but how? At night time it’s hard to actually see where they are not to mention catching them.

Thanks

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:55 pm

Its always disappointing to hear these stories but unfortunately people seem to be short-tempered when it comes to calling frogs. I'd be tempted to establish some sort of surveillance equipment and catch them ringing your doorbell or being a nuisance then provide that to the police. Or you could always go to A Current Affair or Today Tonight (but that would probably make relations between you and your neighbours much worse :))

If you do remove the pond you could relocate the frogs to a local creek near the house. Do you know what type of frog they are? That might make it easier to give suggestions about how to catch them and where to release them.

p0nd232
spawn
spawn

Postby p0nd232 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:34 pm

Aaron wrote:If you do remove the pond you could relocate the frogs to a local creek near the house. Do you know what type of frog they are? That might make it easier to give suggestions about how to catch them and where to release them.

I'm not sure what type they are but I would really like to relocate them.
Would I just have to go out with a torch at night?

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:59 pm

Yes the easiest way might be to wait for when they are calling and head out at night and try and follow the calls to where the frogs are. Some species will call in the open but others may be more secretive and hidden away. Once you've managed to relocate the frogs elsewhere you'd need to drain the pond to stop other frogs from colonising it.

Its a shame they couldn't stay there, wish the neighbours were more tolerant of the sounds of nature!

tropicbreeze
frog
frog

Postby tropicbreeze » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:38 pm

Your neighbours should try staying at my place when the rains come. The roar of all the frogs drown out all other noises. You can't hear the radio. I think it's great. So sad some people are like that. But there's no winners in long drawn out neighbour disputes. And to think some people live near railway tracks, airports and busy highways without any worries.

Sean
frog
frog

Postby Sean » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:17 pm

How did you go with the relocation?

annette
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby annette » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:11 am

Sad isn't it....I have a couple of ponds and we are used to the sound. A year ago a work colleague of mine asked for tadpoles (Southern Browns), I told him of the not deliberately moving them philosophy and protocols, as he's 100k away. Told him to build his own pond and they will come. So he did, and they did. The calling drove them nuts apparently, and they have drained the pond and planted garden in it. The frogs have moved down to a billabong on their property.........far enough away not to be heard at night.

manicackel
frog
frog

Postby manicackel » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:36 pm

This has always puzzled me. Some of the best nights sleep I have ever had were when a chorus of frogs was nearby! Tell them to move to the middle of the city if they don't want to hear the sounds of nature. :roll:

Jenelle
frog
frog

Postby Jenelle » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:25 pm

manicackel wrote:This has always puzzled me. Some of the best nights sleep I have ever had were when a chorus of frogs was nearby! Tell them to move to the middle of the city if they don't want to hear the sounds of nature. :roll:

i used to have i would say thousands of Ewingiis calling next to my bed room helped me sleep at night , do not think you can move them as that is where they live , risk of disease transfer etc

they are not your pets they are a wild creature that is not contained they should relax as it means it is a good environment to live in

Return to “Encounters”