2 in central Vic (now with audio)

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

nonterra
metamorphling
metamorphling

2 in central Vic (now with audio)

Postby nonterra » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:48 pm

Found these frogs at Tottington (west of Bendigo) last weekend. Pretty sure the big one is Limnodynastes Dumerilii (I heard them too) but not sure of the little one, possibly a Crinia of some sort (one of only 2 possibilities?).

I heard about 5 species at this dam - maybe I'll upload a "black" video somewhere to ID them by call. I think there were 2 Growling Grass Frogs but they rarely called.
Attachments
frog_Crinia_sp_Tottington120923-0816.jpg
Crinia?
frog_Crinia_sp_Tottington120923-0816.jpg (64.42 KiB) Viewed 4391 times
frog_Limnodynastes_dumerili_Tottington120923-0803s.jpg
Limnodynastes Dumerilii
frog_Limnodynastes_dumerili_Tottington120923-0803s.jpg (69.84 KiB) Viewed 4378 times
Last edited by nonterra on Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alison
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Alison » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:45 am

I agree with the identification of the first one. It is also found in this photo
http://www.frogsaustralia.net.au/frogs/display.cfm?frog_id=36

The 'crinia' however is difficult to confirm. It does not appear to be inhabiting Victoria and so that reduces the likelihood of being a 'crinia'.

nonterra
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby nonterra » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:48 am

Look, I've managed to convert the blank video to an MP3 (using VLC Media Player http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html) and then used MP3 Direct Cut (http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html) to fix the volume - both great free software I already had on my computer.

At around the 15 second mark there is something interesting but most of the noise is the Limnodynastes dumerili and the (presumed) Crinia sp.
Attachments
frogs_Tottington120923-0797.mp3
Tottington Frogs
(280.1 KiB) Downloaded 318 times

nonterra
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby nonterra » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:59 am

Alison wrote:I agree with the identification of the first one.

The 'crinia' however is difficult to confirm. It does not appear to be inhabiting Victoria and so that reduces the likelihood of being a 'crinia'.

Thanks Alison for your reply. I just edited the original post (uploaded a low-res version of Limnodynastes dumerilii) and it swapped the image order.

For the other one I was thinking possibly either Crinia parinsignifera or Crinia signifera - which both inhabit Victoria so I don't quite understand your second point.

Alison
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Alison » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:08 am

nonterra wrote:...

For the other one I was thinking possibly either Crinia parinsignifera or Crinia signifera - which both inhabit Victoria so I don't quite understand your second point.

Sorry, I stand corrected :)

Alison
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Alison » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:12 am

For the Parinsignifera, does this sound like it? Assuming you have heard its call...
http://frogs.org.au/frogs/species/Crinia/parinsignifera/

Visual identifications is really difficult sometimes.

nonterra
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby nonterra » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:43 am

Alison wrote:For the Parinsignifera, does this sound like it? Assuming you have heard its call...
http://frogs.org.au/frogs/species/Crinia/parinsignifera/

Visual identifications is really difficult sometimes.

Very close - I should listen to my own audio (posted earlier)! It does sound very similar to parinsignifera and nothing like signifera.

Gulper
frog
frog

frog audio

Postby Gulper » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:00 pm

I hear Limnodynastes dumerilii, Limnodynastes peronii, Crinia signifera, Limnodynastes tasmaniensis and possibly Crinia parinsignifera- what i assume to be Crinia parinsignifera sounds quite different to the ones in northern NSW - but sort of similar. Because you have both it is really hard to make the call on the Crinia in the photo.

Nice pics by the way-are you happy with the Sony Alpha? Is that a Tamron 90mm you have on it?

Cheers- I hope that helps.

nonterra
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby nonterra » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:37 pm

thanks for the ID via audio, Gulper.

Yes, I'm happy with my A55. And the exif doesn't lie, I'm using the T90 lens for macro. I've had the camera for nearly 2 years now - preordered and got one of the first sold in Oz. The worst thing about it is probably low-light focus and the weak flash - it really needs an external flash. I probably should have gone with a 50mm lens as well, the 90mm is a bit much and I have to crank up the f-stops to get decent dof.

Gulper
frog
frog

Off camera flash

Postby Gulper » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:50 pm

No worries- I use two flashes, one off camera, and it gives me a lot of freedom with creative lighting and enough power to shoot at F16-F18 without any concern.

Good job with the audio extraction too!

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:27 pm

Yes those are Crinia parinsignifera (the eeep sound). They have a distinctly different call in Victoria than they do in northern NSW, so much so that I have thought they were perhaps different species in the past. Other than that I can hear Crinia signifera, Limnodynastes dumerilii dumerilii and at the 15 second mark there is a Neobatrachus sp (Neo pictus I think). Alex, I can't hear the Lim peronii in the recording, I can only hear Lim tasmaniensis (the single click call).

As for the Crinia sp in the photograph it could be either C. signifera or C. parinsignifera, although I would lean more towards parinsignifera.

Cheers,
Grant

Gulper
frog
frog

Postby Gulper » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:42 pm

I haven't spent much time frogging in Victoria, so I'll happily defer to anyone more experienced than me regarding Lim. peronii/tasmaniensis call. I am so used to the multiple "short burst" call of tasmaniensis that single click tasmaniensis wasn't on my radar. It is higher pitched than the Lim. peronii I am used to.

Sean
frog
frog

Postby Sean » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:53 pm

nonterra wrote:thanks for the ID via audio, Gulper.

Yes, I'm happy with my A55. And the exif doesn't lie, I'm using the T90 lens for macro. I've had the camera for nearly 2 years now - preordered and got one of the first sold in Oz. The worst thing about it is probably low-light focus and the weak flash - it really needs an external flash. I probably should have gone with a 50mm lens as well, the 90mm is a bit much and I have to crank up the f-stops to get decent dof.

Hey, I have the A35, I think it is pretty similar but does not include GPS tagging and a few other features. I am pretty happy with it except it has a lot of noise at mod-high ISO. At the moment I only have the stock 55mm lens, I really need to get the 200mm though. :D

SPREG
tadpole
tadpole

Postby SPREG » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:32 pm

I do a fair bit of frog monitoring in the Lower Lakes, South Australia and I believe you have; Limnodynastes dumerilii, Crinia parinsignifera, Limnodynastes tasmaniensis and Litoria peronii :D We don't get the Crinia parinsignifera this far down and your Spotted grass frog calls have a different call to our ones

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:27 pm

Hi Spreg,

I do not hear Litoria peronii in that recording, can you point out a time where you hear it?

Thanks

SPREG
tadpole
tadpole

Postby SPREG » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:05 pm

Peron's at the 14-15 second part of the recording, it's more of a start up call or half-arsed call - but definately think it's Peron's - I have a male Peron's and he does a call like that from time to time :)

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:24 pm

Hi Spreg,

I can hear the call you are referring to, although I can assure you it's not a Litoria peronii, rather it is a Neobatrachus species (Neo pictus I think).

Cheers,
Grant

SPREG
tadpole
tadpole

Postby SPREG » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:06 am

We also get the Painted frog here so am familiar with their call - however I still think it sounds more like a Peron's

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:22 pm

Its not a peron's. The call in the recrording is monotonous. fast paced and hollow sounding. peron's, are slowing and more musical with a downward inflection, and their call lasts a lot longer as well. Although they do sound somewhat similar.

Return to “Identification”