How long with no food?

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Kristyy
frog
frog

How long with no food?

Postby Kristyy » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:11 pm

How long can GTF's go without food roughly????

Michigan
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Michigan » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:23 pm

I've heard round two weeks (don't know how accurate) as long as they always have fresh water.

Manda27
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby Manda27 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:38 pm

It would probably depend on several factors - weight of the frogs, their age (juvenilles need food available at all times, adults don't eat as often), type of frog, etc.

I probably wouldn't test it out for too long - personally we've never left our frogs without food for more than 2 nights, 3 days. Any more and we would want to get someone to feed them - but then i'm pretty protective! lol

I'd be interested in hearing the official verdict on this from some frog experts :)

Kristyy
frog
frog

Postby Kristyy » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:14 pm

Cheers guys, mine went 4 days, we just had none for a few days and life wsa so bloody stupid and we could find none outside and just coudln't get to any. But we then loaded up.
They aren't eating as much atm so didn't even go crazy.

Mine are about 10cm long, no idea on weight. I bought them as babies in Jan

Gulper
frog
frog

Postby Gulper » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:01 pm

Given that GTFs live in some semi-arid parts of Australia where low humidity and high temperatures (or conversely, low temperatures) would preclude activity, in the wild they probably go for months without food if they're not active. I've certainly noticed the wild GTFs at my place shut down over winter and don't move- I can't imagine they're eating. Of course captive frogs which are kept warm and moist are far more likely to move about and burn calories that need replacing. GTFs are unfortunately kept all over the world and certainly many of these are seriously obese. Frogs are opportunistic feeders and like many Australian animals GTFs are likely to have physiological adaptions to deal with an irregular climate and food supply, which would include storing food as fat. I don't think a week (or even two) of starvation would harm a well-fed frog.

Return to “Think Tank”