Frog food from my garden?

For all those who care for our magnificent native frog fauna at home. Share information on enclosures, feeding, which frogs to select, and general care advice.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Warwick29
metamorphling
metamorphling

Frog food from my garden?

Postby Warwick29 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:19 pm

Are there any bugs I could find in my garden that I would be able to feed to my frogs?

Flicker
spawn
spawn

Postby Flicker » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:15 am

I don't see why not, after all that's where wild frogs get their food. I believe you just have to be wary of pesticide use.

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:05 pm

I get most of my frog food from my garden. The easiest way to catch bugs is to turn on the porch light (if you have one) at night and the bugs will be attracted to it. I use a plastic nudie fruit juice bottle (it has a wide neck and is ideal) and have been feeding my frogs like this for the past 4 years.

Kristyy
frog
frog

Postby Kristyy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:01 pm

Do you hang it up, how do you get bugs into bottle?

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:34 pm

Well. Our back verandah has lights on the roof. The moths sit on the light/roof/all over the place. I stand on the deck chairs, put the bottle over the top of the moth and it will usually fly into the bottle, I then pull the bottle quickly away and cover the top with my hand. It sounds confusing but is really easy.
Below is a picture of the bottle I use. If my explanation doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try to take more photos.:)
http://instagr.am/p/IoXRKdOSvP/
P.s you don't have to climb on deck chairs! I just do--moths and bugs settle within reach also.

Kristyy
frog
frog

Postby Kristyy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:25 pm

So you just catch one or a few at a time and put them in tank?

Warwick29
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby Warwick29 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:32 pm

I just fed my frogs some bugs collected from my backyard and I even found a worm!. The worm was 2 times the size of my frog :shock: but he ate it all up in one gulp :lol:

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:23 pm

Yes, just catch a few and then tap the jar inside the tank--it's better if you have the terrarium light on because the bugs will fly into te tank easier..
I have 10 froggies and feed them on food caught this way. It doesn't take as Long as it sounds either --I'm out all day 6 days a week and have homework and such and I still manage to feed my froggies easily.

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:25 pm

Well done with the worm! My perons tree frogs refuse to eat worms but my striped marshies go for anything that moves (including their offspring as I learned the hard way!)

Return to “Keeping frogs”