Tadpole worry

For all those who care for our magnificent native frog fauna at home. Share information on enclosures, feeding, which frogs to select, and general care advice.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Tadpole worry

Postby Litoria Alex » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:07 pm

I have some young taddies (probably 100 at least) that have been doing really well. Yesterday, I did a water exchange (scooped out 2 litres and added 1 litre of rain water) I was planning on adding a second litre today as they got moved around a bit while I removed and added the water yesterday. This afternoon when I looked at them, a lot of them were sitting (floating) at the surface one the edge of the dish (a large plastic crate). They are still alive but don't look too well and when I gently encourage them to swim, most of them just give a little tail wriggle. There are some that are really active but lots of them don't look too well. Does anyone have any ideas what I can do or should I leave them for a few days?
Thanks!
(p.s. I couldn't see any visible air bubbles in them and most of them are the right way up)

Marshie Man
frog
frog

Postby Marshie Man » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:09 pm

Hey are these your striped marsh taddies??

They should be fine :)

I have spotted moarsh tadpoles and occasionally they just 'sleep' or rest up near the surface and but somtimes they go right down deep in the crate.

Alex

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:16 pm

Thanks for the quick reply!
No these aren't my striped marsh tadpoles (I do have those as well but there are only four and the tank is so big that water exchanges cause no disruption to them at all!
These are tree frogs that were spawned in my neighbours old garbage bin so they have had a rough start!
I'll leave them be and add that extra litre when they are a little more active!
Also bought endive for the first time today so that might strengthen them a little!
Thanks again:)

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:22 pm

yeh mine dont even wanna move for me sometimes even when i gently poke them and move they just dont do nothing at all.

Nothing to worry about friend

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:30 pm

Thanks, I'm sure they are sick of me blowing on them and trying to make them move! Good news is, there are a fair few zipping around in their crate so not all of them were affected:) the few that are on their side or upside down are the ones that do worry me a little!
After over 3 years experience raising tadpoles and frogs, you'd think I should be a little more relaxed about it all ;)

Return to “Keeping frogs”