How should I feed my green tree frogs?

For all those who care for our magnificent native frog fauna at home. Share information on enclosures, feeding, which frogs to select, and general care advice.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Mikkoukun
spawn
spawn

How should I feed my green tree frogs?

Postby Mikkoukun » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:20 am

Hello, I just bought 2 Green tree froglets last week and I'm relatively new in caring for them, i have bought them mealworms and pinhead crickets and try to feed them daily. But the problem is, they do not eat as much as i hear from other forums. I've read that little froglets should be fed 2-3 pinheads daily, but mine dosent really eat that much... they sometime last the whole day or two without eating at all. the method im using for feeding them is putting them in a little enclosure i call the "dinner bucket" where i put 3-4 crickets and i wait for them to eat it. But they just ignore the crickets... Is this wrong? Should i put the crickets in their enclosure? Can anyone give me advice on what method i should be doing on how to feed them?

Chris Key
Community Elder
Community Elder

Re: How should I feed my green tree frogs?

Postby Chris Key » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:29 am

They may just be taking a few days to adjust to their new surrounds :) Just to be sure, are the crickets alive? Frogs won't take unmoving food - Jurassic Park taught me that they can't see it :lol:

You have nice warm and humid surrounds for them, mimicking their natural environment?

HTH
Chris

Mikkoukun
spawn
spawn

Re: How should I feed my green tree frogs?

Postby Mikkoukun » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:28 pm

Thank you for the advice Sir Chris! The crickets are alive as well as the meal worms. I also make sure they are within the size of their eyeballs. I live in the Philippines so it's pretty humid and hot naturally but I always spray distilled water on their enclosure every 3-4 hours just to be sure.

I was really paranoid that i may be doing something wrong >< since they are not eating. is it smart to put the crickets at their enclosure? i am just afraid that the meal worms would burrow in the pit-moss and grow under there.

Return to “Keeping frogs”