frog invasion

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

vskyros
spawn
spawn

frog invasion

Postby vskyros » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:55 pm

Hi everyone,

We are new to this forum, and have a question relating to some new found friends that we have encountered.
My wife and I have recently moved, and we are wondering what we can do about our frog invasion. It seems that the previous owners of our place decided not to maintain the pool in the backyard for the six week settlement period before we moved in, hence it became a swamp.
Don't get me wrong, I love all kinds of nature, frogs included, and have grown up in the blue mountains surrounded by all kinds of native animals, but these little guys are pretty loud and persistent. We also have a pet beagle who is very inquisitive, and wants to make friends with the frogs, but I don't want to introduce them for fear that she may eat them and become sick.
One day I hope the frogs, beagle, wife and I can all live in harmony, and I dont want to relocate them or kill them (frogs, that is), so any advice would be helpful...

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:36 pm

You could put a pond in if you wanted, then move the frogs to there.

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:45 pm

Frogs don't taste nice, so most dogs learn pretty quick. The majority that you find in backyards are not poisonous, though some of the green tree frogs will make them throw up.

Grant's idea of another pond (preferably away from the house if you are worried about noise) is good. During winter, frog activity dies down, and you could move any remaining tadpoles into the pond and start using the pool normally. You could also put the pond in a spot away from where the dog hangs out, and plant lots of vegetation around an edge so they have places to hide from the dog and other predators.

Good luck,

Evan

Return to “Think Tank”