DIY Gutload

For all those who care for our magnificent native frog fauna at home. Share information on enclosures, feeding, which frogs to select, and general care advice.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

nikwa
metamorphling
metamorphling

DIY Gutload

Postby nikwa » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:25 pm

Hi everyone.

I was just wondering if anyone had a recipe so I can make my own Gutload? I did a search for it but nothing solid really came back. I would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you

Niki

Tereza Tantar
tadpole
tadpole

Gutload?

Postby Tereza Tantar » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:37 pm

Hi Niki,

excuse my ignorance.... but what is a gutload?

Tereza :)

nikwa
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby nikwa » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:31 am

Hi Tereza. Gutload is that stuff you get with your crickets if you buy them from a pet shop - the Pisces brand of crickets. It's cricket food with the vitamins and minerals that crickets eat and frogs eventually get when they eat the crickets. Do you know what I mean now? They come in little sachets.

Niki

Ann
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Ann » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:10 am

Try reading through THIS thread, see if anything in there helps.

Gerry Marantelli
Amphibian Research Centre

Postby Gerry Marantelli » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:40 pm

and this one.
http://frogs.org.au/community/viewtopic ... 934185b7b8
Everyone should remember that crickets need food - and they usually don't like gutload. It is better to feed your frogs well fed crickets that have been enjoying their food and supplement trace vitamins and minerals with dusting. That is what we do for all ARC frogs.
Crickets - no matter who the supplier is - will be less nutritious the longer they are without food. After a week in transit and stacked in a pet shop in tubs at the wrong temperature and with substandard food, you may as well feed your frogs cardboard.
Always FEED your crickets healthy food before feeding them to your frogs. It is always better to buy ahead, warm and feed crickets for 12-24hrs to allow them to recover their peak condition before using them as frog food.
Another plug for ARC insects: they are packed and posted every Monday - almost everyone gets them on Tuesday (even interstate as we only use express post for deliveries out of Vic) So for nearly all of you the crickets you get were warm and feeding happily 24hrs before you got them. This means the amount of condition they have lost is minimised and their value as frog food is increased. I am aware that other suppliers often pack the day before they post, and some don't use overnight services - the crickets you recieve may have been starving for 3-5 days by the time they arrive. If they have arrived and been siting in a pet store -then who knows how long they have starved. And no, having food in the tub doesn't help a lot - stress (movement and cold) during transport will stop them feeding and I often see them maintained without adequate warmth or ventilation at retail outlets - so they will probably eat very little even after they arrive and stop moving.
ARC crickets (usually smaller sizes) are sometimes packed with a small amount of carrot - not primarily as food but to provide moisture during periods of low humidity. Most of the time they are packed without food as they are travelling quickly and will probably not feed anyway - oh and the food rolling around provides one more way to kill them during tansport.

Michigan J
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Michigan J » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:36 pm

Thanks for that Gerry.
I tried gutloading- our local aquarium gives the stuff away for free, I grabbed a few extra to play with- but it seemed to dry out the carrot or apple I put it on, and the crickets seemed to eat more without it.
We now give them un-gutloaded carrot, apple & green veg like lettuce or celery tops- they seem OK on it.

nikwa
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby nikwa » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:54 pm

Thank you everyone for your responses.
They were very helpful.

Gerry Marantelli

Postby Gerry Marantelli » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:46 am

Yes thats true - crickets usually eat more food when there is not gutload all over it - and that's probably better for the frogs anyway - in fact some gut load packs actually suggest not placing any other food in with insects so they will be forced to eat the gutload (because they don't like it).

Michigan J
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Michigan J » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:46 am

With 2 GTSs and Queensland barking spider, we need a lot of crickets, and we need to look after them.

This week we discovered they LOVE dry cat food- put a piece in one of the boxes (we have one big box, one smaller box and have also set up a breeding tank to keep up with demand!) and they went mad for it.

nikwa
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby nikwa » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:16 pm

Thanks for the tip Michigan J.

I'll try that tonight when I get home from work.

Gerry Marantelli

Postby Gerry Marantelli » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:41 pm

dry cat food is high in protien which they do like. If you get one high in calcium and with a good list of vitamins it is probably better than gutload. i.e. better that they eat lots of a slightly less loaded food than none or very little of a loaded one.

obsidian
frog
frog

Postby obsidian » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:42 am

I use dry kitten food in mine, and they seem to love it.

Return to “Keeping frogs”