Victorian Frog Calls on CD

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Steigus
tadpole
tadpole

Victorian Frog Calls on CD

Postby Steigus » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:01 am

Hi, Does anyone know if there are any plans to produce a CD for the Frog Calls of Vic. I know there is a tape available, which I have, but the only 2 CD's that seem to be available are the Frog calls of Subtropical and Tropical North by David Stewart. Whilst some of the Victorian calls are on these CD's, it would be handy to obtain one specifically for Vic. which could also include SA and NSW to make it worthwhile.
I also recall reading there was a new Field Guide for Australia in the planning....any dates set for the release of a new Field Guide?
Cheers Marlene

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:34 am

I'm not sure, but you can listen to lots of the calls on this website and http://frogsaustralia.net.au/

Steigus
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Steigus » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:03 pm

Thanks Grant, Yes, I do listen to the calls on the website, but it would be handy to have a CD to play in the car when out in the field listening to calls. You can instantly play it on CD and compare sounds. Majority of cars don't have tape decks in them these days. At the moment I tape the calls I hear with a small hand held tape recorder and then get onto the recommended website and compare them with my recordings.
Cheers Marlene

Steigus
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Steigus » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:13 pm

Hi Dave, Been making a few enquiries, but apparently a CD is no longer available. I'm possibly going to the museum on Sat, so will ask around there then.
Cheers and thanks
Marlene

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:02 am

You can just download the calls of the website and then burn them to a CD, as long as you aren't making lots of copies of it and selling it I don't think there would be a problem.

Steigus
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Steigus » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:14 pm

Grant, I would not have a clue as to how to do that. Any help would be truly appreciated because I am not having any luck finding a CD.
Thanks
Marlene

Eipper
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Eipper » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:32 pm

Hi Grant,

Before downloading the calls I would email the calls author first!

Regards,
Scott

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:24 am

Yes, first email the authors. Then you have to find the link to the call and right click and select "save target as", that downloads the file to your computer as the audio file, then you just have to burn them.

Steigus
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Steigus » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:31 pm

Thanks Scott and Grant, I'll follow that up.
Cheers
Marlene.

Edgee
frog
frog

Postby Edgee » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:41 am

The only problem you might have, if the author gives you permission, is that you have to convert the files from wma to wav/mpeg.
If you don't know how to do it, just search for those words on google and there will be plenty of stuff that you can download for free.

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:21 am

I don't think you need to convert them, there shouldn't be a problem with burning wma files, as the program you burn with automatically converts them to cda.

Edgee
frog
frog

Postby Edgee » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:17 am

It depends what you burn with.
I use Nero and it burns what I tell it to.
Oh well, symantecs.
Doesn't really matter if the publisher won't give permission.

Steigus
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Steigus » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:30 pm

Thanks folks. I emailed Murray Littlejohn, but as yet haven't received a reply.
I'm sure my teenage grand-daughter will know how to download the files.....don't they know everything!!!!
Marlene.

Ann
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Ann » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:03 pm

Steigus wrote:Thanks folks. I emailed Murray Littlejohn, but as yet haven't received a reply.
I'm sure my teenage grand-daughter will know how to download the files.....don't they know everything!!!!
Marlene.

Don't be so easily fooled Marlene, teenagers only THINK they know everything, and trying to convince them otherwise is impossible!!!! :lol:

Gerry Marantelli
Amphibian Research Centre

Postby Gerry Marantelli » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:17 pm

You will find that the calls on frogs.org.au cannot be downloaded.
You will also find that the calls on other sites that can be downloaded will not be approved by the authors. Dave Stewart whose calls are downloadable on other sites has told me he is not happy about it and I'm sure he would not approve it.
Murray may be more friendly but his calls are not usually able to be downloaded.

Sorry about all this but frogs.org.au has to protect the copyright of the authors who allow us to use their materials - the fact that some other sites are not as responsible doesn't mean the authors are happy for you to download them.

angel_saza
frog
frog

Postby angel_saza » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:30 pm

maybe people reading this forum can try to record their frogs and post it on here.

Steigus
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Steigus » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:06 pm

You're right Ann. But it would be a dull world without them. And by the time they are in their mid 20's it's amazing how much WE'VE LEARNT!!!!

Gerry. I have no intention of downloading the calls unless permitted by Murray.
Cheers
Marlene

ZoZo
frog
frog

Postby ZoZo » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:31 pm

Hai, I'm in my late teens!!

I guess those with kids and grandkids wouldn't be in the groove enough to have wireless laptops, because if one did one could just sit the laptop next to the frog tank and play the call to the frogs from the site as many times as their little hearts desire.

However, I guess moving a desktop next to the frogs isn't really an option. :(

(By the way, I'm kidding about the coolness... :lol: My parents and grandparents are very cool!! Just watch what you say! We DO know everything!!!)

Gerry Marantelli

something even teenagers can't do!

Postby Gerry Marantelli » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:33 pm

Sorry Marlene - what I meant was even if Murray says OK, you will find that this site will not let you do it (even if you are a teenager)! - It is a protection we put in place to prevent breaches of copyright on behalf of those who were gratious enough to let us use their material.

ZoZo
frog
frog

Postby ZoZo » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:41 pm

It should be protected. I agree, I find it irritating when you want to download a call to play to your frog for a week or so but it can be abused so easily.

Ultimately, it comes down to the fact that as we don't hold the copyright we don't have the right to download it for any reason - even for the personal use that a lot of people on this forum would want it for.

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:35 am

I don't know why people would not want other people to use their call recordings, I mean if its only for frog identification then what is the problem? What if by using a call that was downloaded they found a very rare species frogs, wouldn't that be worth it? Aren't we all on the same team here, frog conservation, I seriously would not mind people downloading frog calls that I have recorded if they were using them to id frogs.

Being a teenager I'm afraid I have to say this-we do know everying :lol:

And there are always ways of getting around protection of copyrights on the internet (not that I think it is good though) as there are so many programs that can do anything these days.

Edgee
frog
frog

Postby Edgee » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:10 am

I guess I'm a step back, I record mine on MD.
I think the problem is that we're not talking about something that an artist has slaved over, and although some of these frogs are damn hard to find(let alone record them calling), there are very limited ways in which to actually purchase the calls so in most cases, people take the easy route, not the difficult one.
I have heard that someone has released a new book with reps/amphibians of the Sydney Basin(or something like that) and it has plenty of frog calls on the cd provided with it.
Unfortunately the guys name escapes me right now.

Steigus
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Steigus » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:28 pm

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
Shane (Edgee) if you can remember who put out the Sydney tape it may have some additional frogs from Victoria that weren't on the Dave Stewarts CD's of Qld Frogs, which I have.

Gerry, No apology required. Only wished to let you know that I wouldn't bring the site into disrepute by using copyright material. As you pointed out, I couldn't have anyway.
I fully agree with copyright. Someone once used a photograph of a Powerful Owl that I had taken. I wasn't impressed. If they'd asked, I would have gladly said 'yes', but they didn't. Very unethical.
Cheers all....maybe one day someone will produce a CD of the Frogs of Vic. Any takers!!!!!
Marlene.

Eipper
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Eipper » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:22 pm

HI all,

I spoke with Murray a while ago about using his calls to put on a cd for The Field Naturalists Club of Victoria.

With letter of why we wanted the calls (for id confirmation and play back to get a response in the field) Murray was quite happy for me to produce 5 cds (all of which are in control of the field nats, as well as a copy for himself and me) the permission was given on the provision that duplicates were not made.

He did indicate that he would like to produce a cd in the future but wanted to make some new recordings and include some of the omissions including Litoria spenceri and L. booroolongensis etc.

Regards,
Scott Eipper

Gerry Marantelli

Postby Gerry Marantelli » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:02 am

Yes most of us are on the same team (although some recent discussion on this forum clearly indicates some people are only pretending to be on the team to make money) - but I guess the question is do we want to rely on people's hobby, spare time and dollars to fund the collection of photos, recordings and information/research on frogs - or do we need professional people who do it for a living and spend tens of thousands of dollars to buy equipment and work full time to get the calls, pics and info we all love to see. If we do then how do these people survive if they do not sell the products thay produce?? And how do they sell the products if they give them away - if they are free to download - who would buy a CD etc.

I share as much as I can with everyone but I must sell some things to keep ARC running - if I didn't this site and all the work and research we do would not be happening. It costs hundreds of thousands of dollars annually to run the ARC and we don't get anything from government for running costs (they only fund certain projects) - we have to sell stuff to pay for the rest including recordings, photos, crickets, frogs etc. Unfortunately my staff won't work for nothing even though I often have to.

Return to “Think Tank”