Where can I find the nutrional requirements for a GTF?

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Syrekata
spawn
spawn

Where can I find the nutrional requirements for a GTF?

Postby Syrekata » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:04 pm

For my individual experiment in school, I am doing an experiment on whether green tree frogs grow faster on a diet of meal worms or on crickets, (with additional calcium and multi-vitamin powder)
For the practical write up, I need to know the nutritional requirements of these frogs. But I can't seem to find it anywhere online.
Does anyone know of a site with the information I need?

samehada
frog
frog

Postby samehada » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:26 pm

they eat anyhting that can fit in their mouths and that moves :lol: also it depends on what their prey has been feeding on cos this is past on to the frog.

Syrekata
spawn
spawn

Postby Syrekata » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:30 pm

So if I find the nutritional value of the insects frogs eat, it will tell me their requirements (like calcium, phosphorous and protein)?

samehada
frog
frog

Postby samehada » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:36 am

i dont think there is information about the exact requirements frogs need every species has different needs, like if the frog is a burrower and never sees the light of day then it would need high amounts of calcium because it dosnt get vitamin d from the uv light something like that i think. :?:

ZoZo
frog
frog

Postby ZoZo » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:54 pm

Also, if you think about it, we have nutritional requirements but we don't neccesarily eat it and yet we still survive. In fact, you would probably find very few who eat the exact required amounts of everything.

Even if you did find the ideal frog requirements frogs can probably stray quite far from the requirements and still survive happily.

angel_saza
frog
frog

Postby angel_saza » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:55 pm

If you're using supplements doesn't that stuff up the point in finding out the difference in growth between mealworms and crickets? Plus, without supplements you can find out what the frogs do better on, in terms of growth rate and development.

Otherwise you'll have to be using exactly the same amount of supplements for each subject (the frogs)

Syrekata
spawn
spawn

Postby Syrekata » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:29 pm

I am using the same amount of supplements for each frog. I need to know the nutritional requirements so I can comment on whether or not these foods supply the frogs with everything they require.

ZoZo
frog
frog

Postby ZoZo » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:52 pm

Well, the answer to that would have to be no. Green Tree Frogs need UV light, for starters.

Frogs live on a diet of insects in the wild, so insects will provide everything they need foodwise. They eat and survive on whatever insects they can find and fit in their mouths. Of course, some insects may be better than others, but different insects would probably affect the speed of growth if anything.

I don't think you'll find a table which says "Green Tree Frogs need 2mg of calcium, 1mg of Vitamin A... each week". (BTW, I made those figures up)

angel_saza
frog
frog

Postby angel_saza » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:28 pm

maybe try ringing a reptile park or a zoo which keep these frogs. They may be able to tell you what you want to know or at least point you in the right direction. Even the biology department at a university might be able to help you.

Just some suggestions :)

Chris Key
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Chris Key » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:59 am

or try ringing the ARC - they would have a pretty good idea, if they have the time to talk, they're pretty busy!

Gerry Marantelli
Amphibian Research Centre

Postby Gerry Marantelli » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:26 pm

If you find any difference between your two groups you would then be more interested in what is the difference between crickets and mealworms - that you will find in a table.

What the frog needs is not really part of your experiment and if your science teacher thinks it is - then you can tell them I said its not.

compare the composition of the foods and relate that to the differences you find.

Syrekata
spawn
spawn

Postby Syrekata » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:47 pm

compare the composition of the foods and relate that to the differences you find

Thats what I'm doing. But I need to be able to explain why the differences in the food affects the growth of frogs. To do this i need to be able to say, roughly, what a GTF requires from its food.

Thanks for your help, but don't worry about it. I've decided that I will just use the average nutrional info of several insects that GTFs eat, to say what they need. After all, if insects didn't supply them with what they need, frogs would have evolved to eat other things. :)
My teacher will just have to be happy with that.

Gerry Marantelli

Postby Gerry Marantelli » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:44 pm

what I was saying is that you don't need to know what GTFs need (and that info probably doesn't exist). If you have seen any difference you should conclude that it is due to a difference in the two diets - then see what was the difference (using data on each insects composition) - then relate that to whatever you observed about the frogs.

eg: the mealworm frog grows faster - mealworms have more fat and less protien than crickets - therefore more fat even with less protien = faster growth. Or you can look into physiological aspects of how fat and protien are used and try to see if this explains your growth data.

The design of your experiment really only allows you to compare the two diets not the frogs needs.

Return to “Think Tank”