Help with posting images

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Steigus
tadpole
tadpole

Help with posting images

Postby Steigus » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:51 pm

Hi, New to the forum and watching frogs. Moved to Central Vic recently and enthralled with the chorus of frog calls coming from our dam. I have taken numerous photos of various (I think) frogs and I am having trouble posting images to the site for identification and would appreciate some guidance as to how to make the images the right amount of pixels. I have no idea how to do that. Many of my files are over 250kb and some reach around the 900kb. I don't know if this is the problem or the original settings when I took the photographs with my small digital camera are causing the images to be rejected. Any help would be appreciated. I think the 'old grey matter' might be catching up with the grey hair!!
Thanks

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:33 am

You may need to edit the image using something like photoshop or paint shop pro. If you resize the image to make it smaller that will decrease its file size. Alternatively if you take a recording and post that we should be able to identify the frogs by that. Or you could find an image hosting website like flickr and post them on that and give us a link to it.
Cheers,
Grant

Steigus
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Steigus » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:50 am

Thanks Grant, I'll follow that up. Cheers Marlene

Ann
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Ann » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:28 am

A real easy way is to right click on your picture
select send to
mail recipient
enter you email address
when it asks to resize select yes
open up your emails
when you get the new email, save the new picture attachment and it will be small enough to post.

Edgee
frog
frog

Postby Edgee » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:48 am

Ann, if you've got photoshop, it's a whole lot easier than that.
I never thought that you were the shortcutting type. :lol:

Chris Key
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Chris Key » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:00 am

if you don't have a (pirated) copy of photoshop *cough* try downloading IrfanView - it's free, and does resizing etc really easily.

Steigus
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Steigus » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:27 pm

Thanks everyone. As I don't have photoshop etc I followed Anne's (?) suggestion and now have a smaller file....it should appear in the Identification section shortly, if I can get that right!!
Great site with helpful and friendly subscribers.
Cheers Marlene.

Ann
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Ann » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:48 pm

Edgee wrote:Ann, if you've got photoshop, it's a whole lot easier than that.
I never thought that you were the shortcutting type. :lol:

Steigus wrote:Thanks everyone. As I don't have photoshop etc I followed Anne's (?) suggestion and now have a smaller file....it should appear in the Identification section shortly, if I can get that right!!
Cheers Marlene.

HAHAHA, So there you go Edgee, sometimes the "free" way is the best way!! LOL

It is amazing though how some of us find somethings easy and others more difficult!
I am the one who works out the dvd/tv/stereo installations, map reading, installing wireless modem/router networks etc etc, but my Hubby leaves me for dead when it comes to adobe and corel!!!

Ann
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Ann » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:50 pm

Steigus wrote:Thanks everyone. As I don't have photoshop etc I followed Anne's (?) suggestion and now have a smaller file....it should appear in the Identification section shortly, if I can get that right!!
Cheers Marlene.

No worries Marlene, just glad you where able to get those great pics up!!!

PS Ann without the e, but I dont get offended! :D

Steigus
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Steigus » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:50 pm

Hi Ann, Thanks for help and comments. I have only been watching frogs for the last 6 weeks after a friend on a field outing for a Field Naturalists Club (birdswatching, my other passion), inadvertently rested on a stump which gave way and in amongst the soil was a medium sized green spotted frog. In the process of trying to id this frog, (Limnodynastes tasmaniensis, I think) the bug has bitten me and now I'm down at our dam most nights (and days for that matter) as many of the frogs are hiding under logs and rocks around the dam. Fascinating little creatures.
Cheers Marlene

Return to “Think Tank”