Tadpoles and slightly salty water

For all those who care for our magnificent native frog fauna at home. Share information on enclosures, feeding, which frogs to select, and general care advice.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

gtsteve
frog
frog

Tadpoles and slightly salty water

Postby gtsteve » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:07 pm

After many years of maintaining a couple of small (about 4ft x2ft x1ft deep)
backyard ponds I recently contaminated them --from shared pond weed---with a smelly slimy algae which slowly covers everything. I will drain the ponds and wash and dry all of the rocks and pond furniture to try to get rid of it. (1) Short of actually sterilising everything, is that likely to be enough? Also I am reluctant to throw away a lot of big old plants growing on lovely rocks and I have been told that adding some? salt will gradually get rid of that type of slime/algae. (2) What rate of salt could frogs and tads tolerate? I don't imagine that it would be very high, although one 'expert' in an aquarium shop insisted that it would not kill my white clouds (fish) or tadpoles. I am also worried that in transferring my fish from pond to pond when cleaning the two ponds, that I will still keep contaminating everything. That's why I am looking for a chemical remedy that will gradually get rid of slime and not hurt the other pond life. The tads are marshies probably nothing will kill them anyway:) (3) What do you think?

Deputy Chair
spawn
spawn

Re: Tadpoles and slightly salty water

Postby Deputy Chair » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:07 pm

Hi, I am new here and trying build pond and surfing for furniture and lighting online. Any help for me? I need some best prices, not very expensive! I have just checked http://www.clicknbuyaustralia.com/brand/resort-living/ Resort Living Furniture online and do you think is it good to buy from them?

Return to “Keeping frogs”