Extremely small tadpole

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

adoptatadpole
metamorphling
metamorphling

Extremely small tadpole

Postby adoptatadpole » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:08 pm

Hi Everyone,

here is one of a number of minute tadpoles rescued from my Louisiana Iris tub in the garden. It is the size of a small grain of rice, yet it would be at least five weeks old (I've been watching and feeding them). They are good eaters and fine swimmers, but they aren't growing rapidly like the other tadpoles are (Peron, Eastern Dwarf, GTF, Marsh etc). Any clues?

Al
Attachments
small1.jpg

tropicbreeze
frog
frog

Postby tropicbreeze » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:46 am

Was wondering whether you might get an answer, tadpoles are pretty difficult to ID. There is a book on frogs and tadpoles, "Tadpoles and Frogs of Australia" by Marion Anstis, but a bit pricey. Haven't seen it so don't know how good it is or anything about it.

I also have a "Peter Pan" tadpole that doesn't seem to want to grow up. Noticed it about a month or more ago in my shade house. It's about a 10 litre container but couldn't see anything in it that the tadpole could have been eating. A bit too dark for algal growth. So I put some water weed in with it that Litoria rothii love to eat. So far, a few weeks later, it doesn't seem to have touched the plants and is still as small as ever. The head is about the size of a pea. It's on its own so I wonder whether it devoured its siblings.

adoptatadpole
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby adoptatadpole » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:05 am

Hi there, I'm a pensioner and can't afford big, expensive books. Yeah, they are hard to identify mostly. It's been 3 weeks since my post and they are still eating (algae and lettuce), but not growing. I'm baffled. I'll just keep watching I guess.

Return to “Identification”