ID request

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Remon
spawn
spawn

ID request

Postby Remon » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:15 pm

Hi guys,

I just came back from a 5 week holiday in Australia. Saw lots of amphibians and reptiles, but am struggling to put a definite ID on some of them.
Can anyone tell me which species this is? Seen at Cape Tribulation, QLD.

Regards, Rémon
Attachments
7999271.jpg

tropicbreeze
frog
frog

Postby tropicbreeze » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:56 am

I'd say it's Litoria rheocola, Common Mist Frog.

Remon
spawn
spawn

Postby Remon » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:50 pm

Thanks! That was my first impression too, but the greenish color got me confused. My books say they are dull drey of brown. What defines this one as rheocola?

tropicbreeze
frog
frog

Postby tropicbreeze » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:41 pm

I'm certainly not an expert on frogs but I have seen some incredibly different colouring in frogs of the same species, even in the same geographic location. So I tend not to be too hung up on colour. But I google up as many images as I can and do an overall comparison. There's also the Frogs of Australia site - http://frogs.org.au/frogs/ which is quite helpful. My own book on frogs (and reptiles) is too old now and out of date to be much use. If Aaron comes along he could give you the definitive answer and tell you what characteristics would lead you to a positive identification.

This site gives quite a bit of information, although perhaps some of it is in your book already:
www.environment.gov.au/cgi-bin/sprat/pu ... on_id=1802

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:57 pm

Hi Remon,

Tropicbreeze is right it is a Litoria rheocola. They are a variable species so colour can sometimes be a bit misleading. This species is confined to flowing streams in my experience so there are only a few 'tree frogs' (frogs with expanded discs on the finger) that it could be confused with. L. rheocola in many respects is perhaps easily identified by what morphological features it doesn't have rather than what it has:

The absence of scalloped fringes to the sides of the lower leg rules out L. serrata/L. myola.

The slender body and small finger discs helps distinguish it from L. nannotis.

L. jungguy/L. wilcoxi has yellow and black markings in the groin which are absent in L. rheocola.

In some parts of the Atherton Tableland it could co-occur with Litoria revelata which has a similar body shape but is a uniform brown above (yellow-orange in males) with red on the back of the thigh and spots in the groin.

Hopefully some of the features that distinguish this from other frogs helps!

Aaron

Remon
spawn
spawn

Postby Remon » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:53 am

Thanks a lot guys, great description Aaron!
I've ID-ed about 17 species of Litoria so far from my trip, but still have to sift through a bunch of other pictures.

The pictured frog was indeed found alongside a flowing stream. Seen quite a lot of jungguy/wilcoxii as well, also close to where I found the rheocola.

tropicbreeze
frog
frog

Postby tropicbreeze » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:11 am

Thanks for chipping in Aaron. Any chance we're going to see some photos from your recent trip to the Top End/Kimberley?

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:07 pm

Remon wrote:Thanks a lot guys, great description Aaron!
I've ID-ed about 17 species of Litoria so far from my trip, but still have to sift through a bunch of other pictures.

17 Litoria is a pretty good effort! I'm hoping to revisit FNQ this coming summer ... money and weather permitting :)

tropicbreeze wrote:Thanks for chipping in Aaron. Any chance we're going to see some photos from your recent trip to the Top End/Kimberley?

I always have trouble with the coding required to upload my photos onto the forum! I have been slowly uploading the photos to my Flickr account https://www.flickr.com/photos/23031163@N03/

Remon
spawn
spawn

Postby Remon » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:02 am

Aaron wrote:
17 Litoria is a pretty good effort! I'm hoping to revisit FNQ this coming summer ... money and weather permitting :)

Thanks! In total I'm approaching 85 different species of herps, so I'm quite content, and still have a load of pictures to sort. Can I ask your opinion about a few more? Neobatrachus / Platyplectrum? All found in Kings Canyon. Found Cyclorana maini and Notaden nichollsi at the same waters.
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
Last edited by Remon on Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Remon
spawn
spawn

Postby Remon » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:03 am

Two more; 4 and 6 also around Kings Canyon. 5 at West McDonnall Ranges.

Thanks!!
Attachments
5.jpg
4.jpg
6.jpg

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:54 pm

Great finds as usual! Frogs 1-3 and 4 and 6 are all Neobatrachus species. They used to be N. centralis in that area but recently they were merged with the eastern species N. sudellae (which used to be N. sudelli!).

Frog 5 looks like a young Platyplectrum spenceri.

Aaron

Remon
spawn
spawn

Postby Remon » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:09 pm

Thanks again Aaron! Happy with the confirmation. I read that centralis was merged with sudelli/sudellae indeed.
The difference in dorsal pattern (for example the 2 in picture 6) with one animal with many small spots and the other with lesser large spots are all within sudelli variation?

Return to “Identification”