New resident Peron's tree frogs with questions

This forum is for all those interested in Australian frogs. Share stories and pictures of your pet frog or tell your tall tale of contact in the wilds of suburbia or bushland.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

shell20
spawn
spawn

New resident Peron's tree frogs with questions

Postby shell20 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:32 pm

Hi every one I am new to this site I just recently found 1 Peron's tree frog living in a bucket I have under a large rhubarb pot plant on my 1st floor balcony about a week later there were 2 and now there are 3, 1 male & 2 females based on their sizes.
the questions I have are
1/. How long do Adult Peron's tree frogs live failing any early fatalities
2/. Are male Peron's tree frogs territorial
My balcony gets full sun but the frogs are in the shade of the bucket with a hole drilled about 5cm up the side wall of the bucket. I have National Forest backing onto the property & tall gum trees on both sides of the balcony with a creek about 500 metres away.
I'm thrilled with with my wild co residents now I know why I have so few Mosquitoes even though I see lots of wrigglers in the water trays under my plant pots.
I Would really appreciate knowing the answers to the above questions if any of you can help as I can't locate this info anywhere online.
Shelly :)

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:20 pm

Hi Shelly,

Very cool to have these frogs come and take up residence so close to you.

1. The adults can be quite long lived, I wouldn't be surprised if they could live for at least a decade in the wild if they don't suffer any serious injuries.

2. Peron's are a fairly communal frog when it comes to sheltering. Males when they are calling around a pond may wrestle a little bit for a favourite perch or calling location.

Hopefully they will hang around for a while yet.

Aaron

shell20
spawn
spawn

Thanks So much

Postby shell20 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:09 pm

It's very cool having them here by choice I will attach a photo as soon as my pc issues are sorted Again thanks for the information

Return to “Encounters”