South Australian native plants and frogs beginner

For all those who care for our magnificent native frog fauna at home. Share information on enclosures, feeding, which frogs to select, and general care advice.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

jaystarrs
spawn
spawn

South Australian native plants and frogs beginner

Postby jaystarrs » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:23 am

Hello, I have found a large number of tadpoles in a creek near my home. We live right next to it.

We have a pond in our yard with a shade cloth over it and it also has a sprinkler sytem on the roof. This system is currently connected to the mains water but I am going to connect it to my rainwater tank because I know this is better for tadpoles.

I want to completely change the habitat of this area (about 3m by 4m) to be South Australian and frog friendly.

Does anyone have any suggestions for plants in the pond and outside of the pond in this shaded wet area?

taniaaust1
tadpole
tadpole

Postby taniaaust1 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:06 pm

Hi, I'd be interested to know what kind of frogs do you have there. My father lives somewhere out that side of Adelaide and was getting frogs in his pond and when I showed him all the photos for the adelaide frogs he said none matched.

Sorry I cant offer any plant advice, Im new at this too.. my tabpoles have just reached the froglet stage.

Maybe it would be a good idea to check out what kind of plants are around the creek where they are coming from. A friend brought me a plant from a creek the other day and I treated it before I put it into my pond (it turned out to be bamboo which is some crazy price online, we thought it was some kind of rush at first), so probably not helpful for the non climbing frogs I have.

Seeing its a shaded pond area.. i dont think water lillies survive without at least 6 hours sun. Makes it a heap tricker to work out pond plants.

jaystarrs
spawn
spawn

Postby jaystarrs » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:26 pm

Hi, I'm not sure what type they are... Some are dark grey, even black looking from a distance but upon closer inspection they are much lighter. I have attached some photos. Tomorrow night I will head down to the creek and record some mating calls. It's a bit late to do it tonight.

jaystarrs
spawn
spawn

Postby jaystarrs » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:54 pm

Hi, no frog calls. I went down to the creek and could only hear crickets. I've noticed the water is really receding. A few more days and it will probably dry up. I wonder if I should save some. They won't be able to survive. They don't even have legs yet.

Return to “Keeping frogs”