frogs and ants

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

roybe
tadpole
tadpole

frogs and ants

Postby roybe » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:37 pm

most of my books with info on frogs says they mostly eat insects. I've observed a couple of sedgefrogs we've got and ants seem to go past their noses without them having a bite. are ants off the menu for frogs does anyone know

bluegreen
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby bluegreen » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:27 pm

I don't know about frogs eating ants - but recently I discovered that ants like to eat my frog's crickets!!

:shock:

Chris Key
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Chris Key » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:31 pm

please refer the this post [CLICK ME] for a thread on food for frogs, I believe ants are mentioned in it.

samehada
frog
frog

Postby samehada » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:04 pm

yeah i notice that too on my pond the graceful morphs dont touch them either not even the sedges i had touched them

Rosemary
tadpole
tadpole

what about termites????

Postby Rosemary » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:18 pm

I'm not sure about ants, I think quite a lot of them have chemical deterants, don't they? Also when they bite they have some kind of venom/poison. But my red crowns used to love a bit of wood filled with termites, it was like an all you can eat buffet.

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:41 pm

It really depends on the species of frog, some frogs like Litoria caerulea will have no intreset in ants or termites at all, while other frogs such as Notaden species practically live of them. Its actually more of a size or environment issues, in my example the caeruleas won't eat them because they are to small and there is plenty of other stuff to eat, while places where Notaden live there are ants in the millions.

Donna
frog
frog

Postby Donna » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:08 pm

Some frogs seem to eat them, especially when they are little. I had some metamorphs of a couple of different varieties, and they enjoyed the little black ants (ones which were attracted by honey or sugar), but when I put in a different variety of little black ant (more of a meat eating variety which were attracted by chicken bones) some of the metamorphs died.

Donna

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:09 pm

Yes, ants can hurt frogs, but they will generally leave them alone.

Evan

Return to “Think Tank”