Daughters sick Green Tree Frog

A big issue both in enclosures and in the wild.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

sabear
spawn
spawn

Daughters sick Green Tree Frog

Postby sabear » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:11 pm

I am in Need of some desperate help. My daughters Green Tree frog started gettings these lumps on it a few mouths ago and they have now developed into large ugly tumors.
Have been to the vet twice and after $300 dollars he now wants a $350 operation to remove a few to seen to the zoo for diagnosis. The initial results have come back as bacterial. We have been treating with salt baths and an anti-bacterial bath.
She has one other Green tree frog that is fine in the tank.

The frog appears fine and will still eat and is active. What do I do???

Thanks in advance Jeff

Sean
frog
frog

Postby Sean » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:06 pm

I don't actually keep frogs but I would probably remove BOTH from their enclose for the time being. Put them in separate containers, something like those little plastic fish tank would probably be ok. The enclosure they are in could be infected so don't remove anything else with them. Use all new water bowls etc.

Now there is an Australian charity that researches frog diseases called Frog Safe (previously FDR Project). They are in Cairns so they might not be able to help much. However they are very experienced and they will know what actions you should take. They would also be interested in any biopsy results, there are still unidentified frog diseases so any results hep.

Keep in mind that they are probably very overworked and underfunded. Still it is worth asking if they can help.

http://www.frogsafe.org.au/contact/
http://www.frogsafe.org.au/disease/gene ... eria.shtml

Sean
frog
frog

Postby Sean » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:54 pm

Hey, were you able to contact them?

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:29 pm

I'd say not to put him back with the otherone. For the $350 op tell him to forget it. How do you operate on a frog honestly??? Just wants money. Try find another vet and see them their maybe a cream out there for it to heal them all up.

Return to “Health and disease”