Mistaken identities

For all those who care for our magnificent native frog fauna at home. Share information on enclosures, feeding, which frogs to select, and general care advice.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

*ADRIAN*
frog
frog

Mistaken identities

Postby *ADRIAN* » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:48 pm

Found an ad on gum tree yesterday for a baby green tree frog but when I checked out the pic it most certainly wasn't a GTF, so I decided to check it out some more and buy it as it didn't really look like a red eye either so when it was dropped off to me this evening I checked it out some more and
I have come to the conclusion that it's actually a little dainty (about 90% sure never seen one up close) I've put it in with my baby red eyes and will try get some pics tomorrow if some one could verify its identity for me that would be great

UuserMeLiam
frog
frog

Postby UuserMeLiam » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:01 pm

Pictures would be great Adrian i would love to see what this little fellow looks like!! And if it a dainty.... you are one lucky person!!! Hopefully you will come across a few more and bring the dainty ''population'' back to SA somewhat like the Red-eyes made a huge comeback this year, They are sold everywhere now! Even at Petstock!!

Does the frog have a grey eye color? And green in color? It could be a fallax! Or a young dainty that hasnt developed the redness in the iris.

*ADRIAN*
frog
frog

Postby *ADRIAN* » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:22 pm

I'm having trouble putting pics up I'll try again later. I've compared it with both my red eyes and fallax but it is certainly not either that's why I'm guessing it's a dainty, it is similar looking to a red eye but different looking body shape, coloring and markings

UuserMeLiam
frog
frog

Postby UuserMeLiam » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:20 pm

Well, it has to be a dainty!! Sucks with loading pics for you Hahaha, having trouble getting the pictures to get onto your comp or just the forum? Remember, TinyPic.com is always their to help, hahaha.

*ADRIAN*
frog
frog

Postby *ADRIAN* » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:05 am

Just having trouble on here and been a bit busy aswell i look into the tiny pics hopefully it will be an early day today

*ADRIAN*
frog
frog

pics

Postby *ADRIAN* » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:06 pm

*ADRIAN*
frog
frog

pic

Postby *ADRIAN* » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:10 pm

*ADRIAN*
frog
frog

pic 2

Postby *ADRIAN* » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:12 pm

*ADRIAN*
frog
frog

pic 3

Postby *ADRIAN* » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:15 pm

*ADRIAN*
frog
frog

Postby *ADRIAN* » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:19 pm

A few pics, correct me if im wrong, i have had it in with my young red eyes and copared the two and there is certainly a difference between the two

UuserMeLiam
frog
frog

Postby UuserMeLiam » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:55 pm

That is definitely a Dainty tree frog (Graceful tree frog) you can tell how the little fellow sits when sun baking and also the way it has a leaf shaped sort of head (The upward inflections). Absolutely beautiful!! I want one now, hahaha. Best of luck looking after the little fellow, i suspect it is probably fully grown, although i should check before i state this. Nice job!

Also yeah, it does have significant differences to the red eyes, especially that odd bronze sheen coming from the inside of the hinds legs, Looks stunning! Love the bright green!

Edit: And those little dots all over the body of the frog, loving the pics too Adrian! Keep it up, i wish i could have found this on Gumtree, hahaha, its funny because someone is selling ''green tree frogs'' and clearly in the picture they look just like Peron's, correct me if i'm wrong.

*ADRIAN*
frog
frog

Postby *ADRIAN* » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:30 pm

Yeah ive seen that ad for the perons to lol clearly some people have no idea, i was in a pet shop the other day that had red eyes advertised as green tree frogs but in another tank also had a banjo advertised as a green tree frog as well lol. Only problem i have now is where to keep my little dainty, i first had him/her in with my baby red eyes but got worried it would get eaten so ive moved it in with my fallax, but now im worried it will eat them, i may have to set up another tank and try get the little guy a friend

UuserMeLiam
frog
frog

Postby UuserMeLiam » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:46 pm

Yeah, the best thing to do would to separate him from the other frogs and put him in a tank on his own, I will let you know if i see anything online or even in the pet shops although this is probably the most unlikely thing to occur...

And i don't understand how mistaken identity can be so obvious... I mean come on!! Its strange that red-eyes have suddenly come back into stock this year, clearly its been a good one, now all we need is the Dainties to come back, and maybe a couple more of the tropical species to appear in the shops here in Adelaide!! Cant get my hopes up now anyway, gotta concentrate on school and the frogs i have now, although i am debating whether to get my Fallax a friend as i have seen no signs of worms in its poo, skin conditions, eye conditions or any signs of redness, and the frog is plump at the moment so..... Possibility.... + one of my southern browns has been calling...

Its weird because two of my red-eyes are still yellow! But are larger than the green colored one i have now! I'm so confused on the color situation at hand!! Well enough babbling...

Good work! Good Luck! And enjoy staring at the bright green color of that beautiful Graceful tree frog!

*ADRIAN*
frog
frog

Postby *ADRIAN* » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:02 am

Thanks mate just gotta find space for another tank now lol, if your after allay down the track check out pets everywhere on prospect road in with there baby golden bells, ive got 4 from there now and there just starting to call heaps, my magnificents have just started to call out in the last few days to

mephistorolling
spawn
spawn

Postby mephistorolling » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:18 am

do you still have your dainty? i have one and i keep him in with a female red eye, she is bigger then him but no where near big enough to eat him.

Return to “Keeping frogs”