Is there an app for that?

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

jmsthornton
spawn
spawn

Is there an app for that?

Postby jmsthornton » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:02 pm

Hi all,
Newly joined because I was looking for an iPhone app for Victorian frog identification like the Tasmanian one http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/frog-log ... 97391?mt=8

The page of Frogs.org.au http://frogs.org.au/frogs/of/Victoria/ would be absolutely great as an app that could then be available offline in country Victoria away from 3G access for when frog identifying.

Hope this is the right forum for such a request.

Marshie Man
frog
frog

Postby Marshie Man » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:13 pm

There might be one in production, not sure though, hopefully one of the admins can answer this one more confident :)

Alex

jmsthornton
spawn
spawn

Postby jmsthornton » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:31 pm

Thanks. I await an admin!

Gulper
frog
frog

Has anyone used the Australian Museum Frog App?

Postby Gulper » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:06 pm

I was browsing the museum's page and came across a frog app- just wondering if anyone as experience using this.

Cheers.

jmsthornton
spawn
spawn

Museum Frog App

Postby jmsthornton » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:46 pm

Hi, I have added the Museums "Frog Guide" to my phone.

The identification process comes with a species description, a distribution map, a recorded call and a photo of variable quality, but no identification drawing calling attention to salient features and markings.

It has sections for "Browse" which appears to only offer an alpha index of common names with Latin names underneath (but I can't find an option to browse by them) but it also has a search function; "frog log" for keeping your own notes; something called "explore" which appears to give you a random frog to find out about; and "information" which is an ad for itself along with links to other related Museum resources.

The design of the interface is a little tacky, in that the entries don't fill the (limited) space on the phone screen and the border of the entries are made to look like a torn notepad page.

However given the general lack of competition , I'd say go for it!

Return to “Think Tank”