Tadpole development

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Tadpole development

Postby Litoria Alex » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:50 pm

I am currently watching some beautiful green tree frogs morph. Little Stanley popped out his two front legs just yesterday:) I wonder if they feel much pain during this time? The legs are fully formed and then have to break through a layer of skin. Kinda looks painful. I also think its fascinating and weird how the tadpoles seem to shrink before their front legs emerge.
Watching tadpoles change and grow certainly is fascinating. Does anyone have any additional thoughts or information as to whether or not "popping out" front legs hurts?
Alex

Sean
frog
frog

Postby Sean » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:02 pm

The ones I have seen seem to grow each leg under a flap of skin, with a small opening for their leg. Then I think they push their legs through the hole and the flap is reabsorbed. I could be completely wrong though... :)

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:53 pm

I wondered that, I didn't quite get close enough to see tiny details in my morphling.
Just curious as to how the legs don't accidentally come out too early. This all fascinates me :)

Return to “Think Tank”