Paludarium advice

For all those who care for our magnificent native frog fauna at home. Share information on enclosures, feeding, which frogs to select, and general care advice.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Nano07
metamorphling
metamorphling

Paludarium advice

Postby Nano07 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:43 am

We're building a Paludarium that will host our juvenile GTFs (at the moment they are approx. 4cm long).

I was wondering if someone has experience with this kind of setup, and if you know what kind of cold water fish can be put in the water area?

We thought of guppies as they look quite colourful. Would this be OK?

Thanks!

Chris Key
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Chris Key » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:30 pm

guppies are NOT cold water fish. tropical only - if your local aquarium tells you otherwise, leave and go to one that knows what they're talking about.

that being said, why not heat the water for tropical fish? would help with the tank temperature and humidity that GTF like.

Nano07
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby Nano07 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:22 pm

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your feedback! :)

You guessed correctly!! I have talked to people at the aquarium shop and they told me that here in QLD Guppies are fine without a heater, as water never gets really cold, (specially inside the house).

They also told me that if the water is heated, they grow faster and die sooner. Colder water makes them live longer.

We're also making a 'rain' system, to keep humidity high, but I'm not sure if that would be enough.

I think it might be a good idea to get a thermometer and humidity gauge to check the water temp & humidity inside the tank.

Chris Key
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Chris Key » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:33 pm

guppy's are pretty hardy - I've consulted my aquarium bible, Riehl & Baensch's Aquarium Atlas - they can tolerate water temperatures of 17C - 27C and a pH of 6-8. I personally would still have a small heater in there, when I kept guppy's I kept the water temp around 25 and they were very happy.

colder than 17 will not make them live longer, it will make them more susceptible to disease and parasites.

the problem with keeping fish in there is your water quality will deteriorate pretty fast unless you have a good filtration system going on - particularly as guppy are prolific live breeders!

what volume of water are we talking about?

*ADRIAN*
frog
frog

Postby *ADRIAN* » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:49 pm

just a couple i could think of; Danios which are about the size of guppies and also algae eaters can be kept in either cold or warm water and are great for keeping your tank clean but like mentioned above your best bet would be to go in and talk to your local pet shop then you can actually check the fish out as well. Another choice as also mentioned above is to heat the water which i know you said shortens the life of the fish but theyll still live for a good year or more and also bred alot more, i've put a few guppies and a few platties in the water section of my red eyes terrarium and there breeding like crazy its getting to the stage where i actually have to get rid of some. Anyway im sure youll work it out fish are pretty easy just dont get exspensive ones to start of with anyway, good luck

Nano07
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby Nano07 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:48 pm

Chris Key wrote:guppy's are pretty hardy - I've consulted my aquarium bible, Riehl & Baensch's Aquarium Atlas - they can tolerate water temperatures of 17C - 27C and a pH of 6-8. I personally would still have a small heater in there, when I kept guppy's I kept the water temp around 25 and they were very happy.

colder than 17 will not make them live longer, it will make them more susceptible to disease and parasites.

the problem with keeping fish in there is your water quality will deteriorate pretty fast unless you have a good filtration system going on - particularly as guppy are prolific live breeders!

what volume of water are we talking about?

Thanks for the tips Chris. I'll see what kind of heater I can find that will fit.

The tank is 60x60x90 (tall) and the water area is 60x60x14 but the ground area covers maybe half that volume.

I also have this canister filter installed http://www.aquariumsupermarket.com.au/8 ... ilter.html)

Here is a photo of how the pond area looks like

*ADRIAN* wrote:just a couple i could think of; Danios which are about the size of guppies and also algae eaters can be kept in either cold or warm water and are great for keeping your tank clean but like mentioned above your best bet would be to go in and talk to your local pet shop then you can actually check the fish out as well. Another choice as also mentioned above is to heat the water which i know you said shortens the life of the fish but theyll still live for a good year or more and also bred alot more, i've put a few guppies and a few platties in the water section of my red eyes terrarium and there breeding like crazy its getting to the stage where i actually have to get rid of some. Anyway im sure youll work it out fish are pretty easy just dont get exspensive ones to start of with anyway, good luck

Thanks for the feedback Adrian. I like Danios too! :) I thought maybe I could also get a couple of those that feed cleaning the bottom, but maybe the pond... it's a bit small for that. Will see what I find in the shop.

Thanks for all the tips guys! I'll make a post in the enclosures section when we finish setting it up. :)

Return to “Keeping frogs”