Can I feed fish to my frogs?

For all those who care for our magnificent native frog fauna at home. Share information on enclosures, feeding, which frogs to select, and general care advice.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Warwick29
metamorphling
metamorphling

Can I feed fish to my frogs?

Postby Warwick29 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:32 am

Will my 2 Gillens tree frogs eat fish?

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:14 am

I don't think so. Frogs don't generally eat food from the water. If you are talking about handfeeding dead fish, I don't think that's good for them either. But I could be wrong.

Warwick29
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby Warwick29 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:34 am

Your probably right :P. Although, surprisingly my frogs do eat food from water. I accidentally dropped a slater into the water and the frogs ate it anyway :shock:! I am just looking for different things to feed my frogs :)

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:18 pm

I wish my frogs ate food from the water! Moths drown in there way too often!
Have you tries feeding your frogs earthworms? They are fairly easy to dig up and there are plenty around, even in winter.

*ADRIAN*
frog
frog

Postby *ADRIAN* » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:15 pm

I've got guppies and platties which breed like crazy in both the water sections of both my red eyes and GTFs terrariums but never seen them try and eat them but i have noticed the GTFs sitting there stareing at them a few times. pretty sure ive read somewhere aswell that they will occasionally eat one or two with out it harming them but dont take my word for it just in case

melcoggio
tadpole
tadpole

Postby melcoggio » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:20 pm

one guy i got my female dainty off had small guppies in the bottom of his tank and he said his red eyes will often drop down into the water and eat them.

Kristyy
frog
frog

Postby Kristyy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:07 pm

My frogs will eat anything from anywhere. They will even go for my hands if I am moving an insect (big crickets can swim out of water, but smaller ones seem bloody useless at doing that)
Mine have eaten many crickets from the water, so I reckon they'd eat fish too

Warwick29
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby Warwick29 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:06 am

The fish wouldn't harm them would they? :?

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:33 am

I guess it depends on the type of fish.
And which types are or are not safe, I wouldn't have a clue, sorry.

Malea
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Malea » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:47 pm

My GTF will eat things from the water also. when my sister frog sitted for awhile i took the enclosure to her house (as i was away for a month or so) she had a pond in her back yard that has minnows in it and so save costs on crickets we just gave them to him.. he loved them!

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:04 pm

Too bad mine don't eat from the water because I dropped a witchety grub in there and had to fish it out! They are too yucky for me.
I'm all for the cost-free food so the minnows sound like a good solution! I think I'll stick with moths for now--there's been plenty the last couple of weeks:)

Malea
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Malea » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:14 pm

Litoria Alex wrote:Too bad mine don't eat from the water because I dropped a witchety grub in there and had to fish it out! They are too yucky for me.
I'm all for the cost-free food so the minnows sound like a good solution! I think I'll stick with moths for now--there's been plenty the last couple of weeks:)

i agree, anything to make it a little cheaper! :) it came in so handy having the minnows in the back yard! not to mention my nephew loved watching/helping.. My GTF "Midori" got nicknamed "Freddy" by my grandpa so my nephew now knows his as "Freddy" ..... thanks grandpa!! :lol:

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:24 pm

Haha, I use to have a frog named Freddo!
My first ever frog Boof wasn't originally going to be named Boof--it was just a nickname because he ate a LOT and was a fat little frog. The nickname stuck.
My little cousin takes a lot of interest in frogs when she visits--however she is more interested in 'cuddling' the wild Litoria fallaxes than my frogs.
I am very cheap with my frogs -- I feed them the insects around my house (we don't use pesticide) and decorate their tank with safe plants that are already in our garden.

Return to “Keeping frogs”