Mixing species?

For all those who care for our magnificent native frog fauna at home. Share information on enclosures, feeding, which frogs to select, and general care advice.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Flicker
spawn
spawn

Mixing species?

Postby Flicker » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:06 pm

Hey there!

I'm new to frog keeping so go easy on me :P This may seem like a stupid question... But I have raised two tadpoles recently into little frogs: A Peron's Tree Frog and a Green Tree Frog. Now I understand that normally, you would not mix species and would in fact separate the two.

However...

These two little fellows have grown up together, they scrunch up together on the same branch or in the same corner of the enclosure, they sit in the water together (very occasionally) and essentially are practically inseparable. They are the same size, so cannibalism at this stage is unlikely. I have a very large tank, 100cms by 65cms. They are only the size of my thumb currently.

My question is, do I have to separate them? I have two tanks and am capable of doing so, I just feel like it would break their little froggy hearts to be separated...

Flicker
spawn
spawn

Postby Flicker » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:24 pm

Also! Another question. How do I know if my frog is 'skinny'. I want to ensure I am feeding them right. When they are perched about they look happy and fat. But when they settle down into the water and spread their legs to swim, they look so skinny! (Well, the Greeny, as skinny as a green tree frog can)...

anastasia courtney
frog
frog

Postby anastasia courtney » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:47 pm

For the moment it will probably be OK to keep them together but the GTF will grow very quickly and you would be surprised what they can fit in their mouths so I would start preparing to separate them persons aren't very big frogs so just watch out :wink:

If they are too skinny you would be able to see their hip bones protruding when they lie down. The little circle behind their eyes is their ear when they are a good weight a little role of skin will develop just behind it. If this gets too big and covers their ear they are too fat. I'm not sure how obvious this will be in such little frogs. Normally when they are that young they should have food available to them at all times until they are probably a year to 18 months old or until they start getting fat.

Remember to give them calcium and vitamin supplements with their food to keep their bones in good condition.

Return to “Keeping frogs”