BEST WAY OF SEXING GTF

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

redeye
tadpole
tadpole

BEST WAY OF SEXING GTF

Postby redeye » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:13 am

hi all

just wondering if anyone knows a 100 % sure way of sexing GTF,i have just being going on the idea of the females lack the vocal sack and dont have the black little pad on the inner thumb that the males use to grasp the females during mating,if anyone can help me with other ways that would be great.also you can correct me if i am wrong on the above also thanks

kindest regards matt

samehada
frog
frog

Postby samehada » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:26 am

i heard that males have a darker throat saac and females a much lighter white sac also if u flip them on their back in your hand males make acroak noise and femals sqweek.

redeye
tadpole
tadpole

gtf

Postby redeye » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:02 am

well their you go..straight form the experts mouth
thanks very much for the info !!!! :D :D

kindest regards matt

Ann
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Ann » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:51 am

Look I am sceptical myself but my herp friend has shown me this so give it a go even if just for a laugh. He has done it with animals he can positively check the sex of and it has proven accurate.

O.K apparently all animals/ humans give of some electrical/vibe sort of the thing and it is different for male /females. So the old wives tale about pregnant/sexing babies had some truth in it (although it wouldn't work because the mothers vibe mixing with the babies vibe).

You take something like a washer and tie it to a piece of string and let it hang over the animal. It will start to move, if it goes side to side it is male, around in a circle it is female.

I have a hubby and three sons and sure enough over my hand it goes around in a circle and as soon as they place there hand under it stops and then goes side to side, tried it also on our two male bearded dragons and it went side to side as well.

Don't do it in a windy spot and give it a bit of time to build up momentum.
Try it and let is know how you go. :D

so much for doing things the "expert" way :roll:

Nick Thorne
frog
frog

Postby Nick Thorne » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:33 am

You were were right! Gave me a good laugh. :lol:

Try the experiment by hanging the washer from the table or something not moveable - so that your hand is not involved. I predict that it will not move at all.

As an alternative, try the experiment the same way as before, but arrange for the holder of the string to be blindfolded and get someone else to record the movements as various animals/people of differing sexes are introduced - without telling the holder which is which. I think you will find that the results will then be reduced to that of random chance.

Still chuckling...

Nick.

speck
frog
frog

Postby speck » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:44 pm

I'm gonna have to try it and see if it works :D

How come it doesn't move if it's hanging from a table? Do you subconciously move the string tied to the washer in circles/side to side if you hold it?

Ann
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Ann » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:13 pm

O.K after just a couple of tries with it sticky taped to the end of the table, I conclude that it certainly does move (which makes sense to me even if it is just from the heat of your hand).
And it moved in the right motion for female, although did not get the same sort of velocity of movement. Do you think we could get a monetary grant from someone to test it our properly? The state government tried to hand a lot of money over to some guy to paint the trunks of some trees blue in the name of art, so it should be easy!?!! :lol:

speck
frog
frog

Postby speck » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:03 pm

I think it's worth a try! I can't believe they'd hand out money to someone to deface trees. :shock:

Ummm... does anyone have any string i can borrow? I don't seem to have any! :D :lol: I still need to test this out!

redeye
tadpole
tadpole

Postby redeye » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:29 am

my god....what have i started here :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chubster
spawn
spawn

sexing gtf"s

Postby Chubster » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:28 am

Hi, We have been trying to find out which sex our 3 gtf's are. When we got them as banana box refugees of about 6 monthsold, Gerry thought they may have been 2 females and 1 male. They are now about a year old. They all call/croak especially at night or when water is sprayed on them, but is this just chatter or a breeding call? They do this a few times most days all year round, some times all three at once. They have distinctive sounds as they have grown to three differant sizes, with corresponding volume to size. How can we tell a breeding call from another call, and do females make any sound at all? We are new to this but we must be doing something right because they are happy and healthy- I think!! :lol:

angel_saza
frog
frog

Postby angel_saza » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:07 pm

just sparking this thread up again...

i have 2 GTF's and i think only one calls, but it is my bigger frog. They are both the same age... but i dont know how old this is exactly. They're approx 4-5cm long.

i have noticed small brown dots on one of my frog's feet, but it is all the way down the toes.. nuptial pads??

i find it almost impossible to flip them on their backs as well

Edgee
frog
frog

Postby Edgee » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:40 am

Just wait till they climb on the glass and have a look at the base of the thumb.
If one is calling, he should almost definitely be showing his pads.
As for truly sexing both of them, when one calls, it should encourage the other to call so if you only hear/see one calling and they are both the same age, I would guess you've got a brother and sister.
No guarantees though.

That brings me to a much larger question:
Should we allow 2 frogs that are from the same batch to breed?
I don't have this problem because almost all of my frogs are rescued but I'm sure some of you might like to know the answer to this, if there is one.

Didiman
frog
frog

Postby Didiman » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:44 pm

Hi Edgee, i started a thread a while back asking if it was feasible for two frogs from the same spawn could breed together:-
http://frogs.org.au/community/viewtopic ... fbc370eb42

But you do raise a good point in if its a good idea in the first place. Maybe we should start a new thread or carry on in the thread i have given to debate this as i would also like to know peoples thoughts.

dee4
tadpole
tadpole

Postby dee4 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:09 am

I'm with the wives tail, we got shown 2 years ago and it has been 100% accurate so far. We have tried from anything from my wife when she was preggas, brood mares(probably shouldn't have these 2 so close together :lol:), reptiles, dogs, rats and even our newely acquired GTF's. How lucky were with we with our GTF's you ask? 1M & 3F.
But give it go & make up you own mind, & yes even off the table or anything else that can't be manipulated by human touch.

angel_saza
frog
frog

Postby angel_saza » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:31 am

I'm so gonna try this! Sounds like fun, hee hee. But i don't think i'll be able to get my white-lip to sit still long enough.

davcarb
tadpole
tadpole

GTF Croaking

Postby davcarb » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:45 pm

Hi I have 4 Green Tree Frogs and occasionally one makes a mad high pitched cat call "Rourrr", not exactly a croak.
Is this normal? He/She also hides behind plants when it does it and shakes the whole vine like it's haveing a fit.
Carol

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:13 pm

It could be a distress call, like if another frog jumps at it or something, my gtfs do that occassionally when they are fighter over food and sometimes one of them just does it for no reason, so I'd say you don't really have anything to worry about.

Edgee
frog
frog

Postby Edgee » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:32 pm

I know exactly what you're talking about and it's nothing to worry about.
It's not a very nice sound, is it?
Mine have done it when one of the other frogs has a limb or more in their mouth.
A foot looks like a cricket, right? :lol:

kermy
tadpole
tadpole

Postby kermy » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:17 pm

My frog who has a funny back leg sometimes misses the cricket and tries to eat his whole leg!

It stresses me out when he does that. When I try and get his leg out of his chomper he starts chomping on my finger and wont let go!

I cant win :cry:

Duzzy
spawn
spawn

Postby Duzzy » Thu May 15, 2008 10:59 pm

Hi there,

I have used this technique on chickens in the egg about 2 days before hatching. I use a needle and cotton. We put the male eggs in one incubator and the f'male in another. We raised them separately from day 1 and we/I had 100% strike rate over 100 eggs. Have also done it on parrots and fiches that I used to keep.

Regards Darren

Dan.R
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby Dan.R » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:16 am

hey. i know this topic is a bit old, but im a bit confused at how your supposed 2 do it.
when you say washer do u meen like, wash your face with washer? and should it be wet?
and how the heck are you supposed to tie string to a washer? do u just use sticky tape?
and finnally, what way do you hold it? with the string facing the animal and u holding the washer or vice verse?

Ann
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Ann » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:08 pm

Hi It is a washer as in a small flat ring of metal.
Ann

Phillip
frog
frog

Postby Phillip » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:30 pm

I know this is an old post, but I found it and it is quite interesting. I am just wondering if the nuptial pads are only on the thumbs? or are they on every toe?

anastasia courtney
frog
frog

Postby anastasia courtney » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:26 pm

Pretty sure they are only located on the thumb

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:24 pm

Courtney does this go with white lips 2??

Return to “Think Tank”