Escapee frog in my backyard - cant catch it

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

rainy.days
tadpole
tadpole

Escapee frog in my backyard - cant catch it

Postby rainy.days » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:17 pm

Hi guys, about 4/5 months ago just before my neighbours moved interstate one of their pet frogs escaped (never told me what type just a big brown one) and they asked me to have alook around my backyard for it but it was never found.

About 5 weeks ago this thing started crackling every night in my backyard (sounds like a kookaburra ) and eventually I got around to finding the thing in one of my trees and it turned out to be a big brown frog.

The call is the same as perons tree frog on the arc site and the frog is the size of a lemon and is quick fast (also my backyard is sort of like a rainforest)

The only frogs in my area are common eastern froglets and they have never moved into my backyard/pond in the last 3 years so im assuming I live too far from the creek and this frog in my backyard is the escapee from before?

I live in sydney, fairfield area >
Will this frog attract more of its kind :?

Gulper
frog
frog

Postby Gulper » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:49 pm

As big as a lemon? That's a pretty big frog! It would be a good idea to see if you can identify it- if you can get a recording of the sound (most mobiles have a recording function, even a compact camera may pick up the sound on video) we could identify the call. While Litoria peronii have a laughing call (probably because they are much better at living with people than other species) they are not that big- unless they've been in the steroid cabinet.

The White-lipped tree frog Litoria infrafrenata is a large tree frog (from north Qld) that has a bit of a chuckle occasionally (probably because you haven't caught it yet)- normally they're green, but perhaps in Fairfield being green isn't fashionable.
Have a listen to the call of that species and see if it sounds similar:
http://frogsaustralia.net.au/frogs/call ... renata.mov

Moving frogs around poses all sorts of risks to the native frog fauna. If your frog is a Peron's tree frog, it probably belongs in your back yard, unless it is definitely the escapee, which would be difficult to tell. If it is the White lipped tree frog it most definitely does not.

Escaping frogs are an issue and very bad public relations for the frog community as a whole. We should be doing our best to ensure that frogs are conserved in their natural habitats where they are part of a bigger system.

rainy.days
tadpole
tadpole

Postby rainy.days » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:36 pm

its probably abit over half the size of an adult green tree frog (the huge ones)

My street is usually dead silent , but this guy is pretty loud and all you can hear at night is him lol

I got a recording from my phone next to the window, its abit soft but im pretty sure its a perons. The recording is pretty soft, it croaks near the end of the clip.
Attachments
frog backyard.mp3
(126.86 KiB) Downloaded 566 times

Gulper
frog
frog

Postby Gulper » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:59 pm

I can't get the file to upload or download or appear in such a way that I can access it. If it sounds like a Perons tree frog, and you're used to very small lemons, I'd say that the frog is a Litoria peroni and is probably okay as long as it doesn't decide to disperse across a busy road. You can encourage the frog to stick around by providing artificial shelters for it. The Perons' tree frogs in my back yard like lengths of PVC pipe buried vertically in the ground that stick up about 40cm or more.
http://www.pbase.com/gehyra/image/117339174
http://www.faunagraph.com.au/frog-house.html

Filtertron
spawn
spawn

Postby Filtertron » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:11 pm

Had a listen. It most certainly is a Peron's Tree Frog.

Return to “Think Tank”