Frog has tan coloured spots

A big issue both in enclosures and in the wild.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Maureen
spawn
spawn

Frog has tan coloured spots

Postby Maureen » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:26 pm

Hello, hoping to get some help for this frog. Believe it is a 'Dainty,' I live in Ararat, Victoria so he is along way from home. He was found in purchased bananas and given to me the next day on 22nd September. Rang the Lost Frogs Home and left a message. I noticed the spots straight away but don't think they have changed size at all.That night he escaped in the kitchen, my fault. I found him eight days later pressed into a window frame. He was very dry and hot to touch so placed him in cool boiled water.He opened his mouth and put his tongue into the water, poor little guy. We believe he may have hidden in florist flowers, topped up with water for about 5 days and eaten gnats fallen from around the light.
He was kept for a further two days in a small plastic dome tank with a vented lid till we could get to Ballarat where I purchased a vertical tank, underwater heater and uv lamp. He seems a lot happier and is now eating 2-4 Arcade crickets every second day. However the spots are a worry and any other problem he may have picked up.http://s623.photobucket.com/albums/tt318/reenie2_bucket/
Last edited by Maureen on Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:35 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Gulper
frog
frog

Postby Gulper » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:30 pm

Make sure he doesn't escape again! The frog may be harbouring all sorts of diseases that could kill frogs in the wild. You might be better off contacting your local parks and wildlife organisation.

Is there any chance that you could post a photo of your well-travelled friend? I think a lot of people would be interested in seeing the frog and its spots.

Cheers,

Alex.

Maureen
spawn
spawn

Postby Maureen » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:13 am

Thanks for the reply Alex. Didn't realize how strong these little frogs are. Thought I had written too much previously in my first post. I contacted the wildlife park near Halls Gap and they suggested the Lost Frogs Home which I already knew about. Also contacted my local BADGAR wildlife refuge, they don't have the facilities plus discussed if I could provide the housing he/she might be better here in quarantine. Also have grown attached and feel obliged to the little guy/girl and have downloaded a private wildlife licence. Was given a tree frog years ago and managed to get him to Gerry Marentelli however he was in good condition.
Thanks
Maureen

Maureen
spawn
spawn

Re Frog with tan coloured spots

Postby Maureen » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:29 am

I rang 'Pails for Scales' the reptile store in Ballarat and asked did they think the little froggy needed any fungal baths or whatever. They said that some frogs have natural markings and as it is over a month since he arrived here, the spots are not growing in size and he appears well that he most likely doesn't need any treatment. I did read on one of the forums that sometimes it takes two months for problems to appear. Saturday night he began to shed his skin and on Sunday night he climbed up to the highest leaf in his enclosure and was calling out. Felt like a proud mother. Would like to read some of your expert opinions. Guess time will tell with him. Have spent lots of time reading the Health and Disease section, some posts very sad, so many things can go wrong.

FDR Project
frog
frog

Postby FDR Project » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:12 am

Maureen,

Unfortunately, ALL frogs coming out of the wild in QLD are suspect for a range of problems. Over the past three years, the majority of these are bacteria and many of these are diseases of humans. We always stress to everyone to handle all frogs with disposable gloves - esp. banana box frogs!

I need to see more photos of this frog from a variety of angles. They need to be sharp and well lit and show the "mug shot" view from all six sides of the frog. The frog needs to be out of the tank for these shots and sitting on a flat surface like a table. Can you do these soon?

Thanks,
the CFH

Maureen
spawn
spawn

FDR Project - Frog with tan spots

Postby Maureen » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:30 am

Thank you Deb?so much for getting back to me. I have been worried about what diseases the frog has and what it is doing to him. Unfortunately no one is here with a camera at the moment which adds to the frustration. I don't handle him at all except once a week to clean his enclosure and I wear wet gloves. Will do my best.Thanks again.
Maureen

Maureen
spawn
spawn

Re :Frog has tan coloured spots

Postby Maureen » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:56 pm

Would just like to thank Deb for her time and help with this little frog. She has been ill again and is recovering but back on the job again. I wish her well. Deb believes the spots on the frog's back could be scars left from ulcers the frog may have had previously. He also had nearly white poo which may have been the result of taking in too much water. The tank has has been disinfected and the frog has had a betadine bath. However he is not happy or eating much so I need to ask advice in another forum regarding tank set up as a last resort.
Maureen

Maureen
spawn
spawn

Frog with Tan Spots

Postby Maureen » Sat May 04, 2013 5:05 pm

There was quite some interest generated with this little Dainty frog so I though it about time an update was posted. Four years on he is doing really well still. Initially there has been trial and error with his heating etc and I have learned so much which has made the big difference. Placing the enclosure against an interior wall immediately made a temp change for the better as previously it had placed against an interior foundation wall. A member on here was completing a thesis on frogs and from this article I put the enclosure 5 ft away from the windows which again helped with fluctuating temp & humidity. The publication, Keeping Frogs by Mark Davidson was a book I read many times as there was info I needed with keeping tropical frogs in cold areas. Being able to buy healthy crickets from Arcade is a bonus.
Attachments
Frog 2012-1.jpg

annette
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby annette » Sun May 05, 2013 8:09 am

Kudos to you Maureen for all your painstaking efforts and for the update! Great rsult! Well done.

Sean
frog
frog

Postby Sean » Sat May 11, 2013 12:33 pm

Sounds like the frog ended up in the right home! Well done. :D

Return to “Health and disease”