U.V AND LIGHTS

For all those who care for our magnificent native frog fauna at home. Share information on enclosures, feeding, which frogs to select, and general care advice.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

brigo
frog
frog

Postby brigo » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:08 am

Got my Exo terra reptiglo 2.0 for $27. Dont know if thats cheap but its the closest shop :P

Edit: 2ft by the way.

OOLAM8R
tadpole
tadpole

Postby OOLAM8R » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:47 am

As an update on being able to actually measure the UV output of our lamps, Jaycar
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.as ... &SUBCATID=
are currently selling a pocket UV meter for $24.95 which should give some indication on when your lamps are at the end of their lives.

Ann
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Ann » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:18 pm

Do you know if it reads uv a and uv b?
Ann

OOLAM8R
tadpole
tadpole

Postby OOLAM8R » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:00 pm

I have tried to find out but it all gets a bit complicated. :lol:

It measures it in one of 3 ways.

1. UV Index
2. mW per cubic meter
3. color coded bar graph from low to very high

depending on which setting you have it on.

If you look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UV_index it will give you a basic understanding of the 3 X different methods of measuring it, but basically no it doesnt give different readings for either UVA or UVB.

The UV Index works from 1 - 11+ with 1 being low & 11+ being extreme.
mW per M2 is just the numerical scale of the above using the corect unit of measurement (mW per M2) on a given object.
And the color coded bar graph is just the same 2 scales represented in color.

I don't think that any light could lose its UVA properties and keep its UVB or vise versa.

Its a bit over my head but we should be able to see for instance if a globe is only putting out 1/2 as much UV as when it was new.

This describes it OK as well.
http://www.serc.si.edu/labs/photobiolog ... tation.jsp

I think I'll just buy one and have a play. :lol:

OOLAM8R
tadpole
tadpole

Postby OOLAM8R » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:31 pm

OOLAM8R wrote:As an update on being able to actually measure the UV output of our lamps, Jaycar
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.as ... &SUBCATID=
are currently selling a pocket UV meter for $24.95 which should give some indication on when your lamps are at the end of their lives.

OK - before anyone else wastes their money - I bought one of these today and even directly touching brand new Exo-Terra's or Sylvania Reptistars it doesnt even register.

It is a very bright hot & sunny day down here in Melbourne today and it shows UVA/B to be 10/extreme/220mW/M2 outside but isnt accurate down low by the looks of it.

Oh well it looks pretty anyway. :lol:

tiretz
spawn
spawn

Using UV LED's for from tank.

Postby tiretz » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:57 pm

Has any body looked into the use of UV LED's for a frog enclosure?

Jaycar have them in the 395nm (see http://jaycar.com.au/products_uploaded/ZD0260.pdf)

There is also another site that shows some ones that seem to have a wider range http://www.s-et.com/products.htm

regards

Justin.

den
tadpole
tadpole

Postby den » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:15 pm

OOLAM8R are you an electrician?

thanks for the previous post, I found it easier on the eye to read than some other messages... the way you put paragraphs and a comparison table...

lol ANYHOWS we're talking about lights here, I bought a Exo Terra UV light for $60 today from a pet shop, and after reading much of these posts I some what ripped off, probably because I am a tadpole ;)

OOLAM8R
tadpole
tadpole

Postby OOLAM8R » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:14 pm

den wrote:OOLAM8R are you an electrician?

thanks for the previous post, I found it easier on the eye to read than some other messages... the way you put paragraphs and a comparison table...

lol ANYHOWS we're talking about lights here, I bought a Exo Terra UV light for $60 today from a pet shop, and after reading much of these posts I some what ripped off, probably because I am a tadpole ;)

Yes - I am an electrician among other things. :lol:

I'm tipping if you paid $60 for a flourescant globe - you have indeed been "ripped off".

den
tadpole
tadpole

Postby den » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:39 pm

My mistake ...$60 for the fixture and $36 for the globe... just Exo terra, repti glo 2.0 UVB 26W... but they are still cheaper elsewhere
i don't think i'll be doing that again!

67shelby
tadpole
tadpole

Postby 67shelby » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:42 pm

UVB is more suited for lizards, frogs only require UVB leading up to breeding season.

den
tadpole
tadpole

Postby den » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:34 pm

Some pet shops are like some car dealers hey!
I was recommended to buy the UVB 26 W, and they knew it was for a frog tank.

If I continue to use it will it still be ok? (seeing as I have already purchased it)

Ann
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Ann » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:40 pm

2% uvb is fine for frogs (you can use a 2 or 5 but not a 10). It appears that a lot of people have a different opinion on how long they need. In the care sheet it is recommended to have it on 6-8 hours a day minimum, others say 20-30 mins a day. I have been using them everyday during daylight hours for the last three years.
Ann

den
tadpole
tadpole

Postby den » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:59 pm

oh good, I can continue to use the 2.0 uvb. Yes I have only been told to leave the light on during the day, more natural.

Alicia_83@optusnet.com
spawn
spawn

Postby Alicia_83@optusnet.com » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:02 pm

hi everyone, im very confused on lighting , as in uv. i have had frogs for ten years with no lighting , my green tree frog was healthy and strong for seven years untill he got free of his tank and i lost him . so i find it hard to belive that all frogs need expensive uv lights and so on . he also had no vitimins or anything like this , and he was really in the best of health. now i have many frogs with no lights and they are all strong and heathy. so id like to know if anyone else has the same dout s as i do . thanks :?

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:32 pm

I don't have lighting on my caerulea tank. But it is recommended.

tripcat
spawn
spawn

light danger

Postby tripcat » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:01 pm

Hi everyone,

Please put a cage around your lights! I had a brown tree frog jump onto a light once and burn its belly - ouch!

Chris NZ
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Chris NZ » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:57 pm

It sounds like arc could be buying these lights from the wholesaler and selling them to the frog people. Arc can make some money, everyone gets their lights cheaper, no one buys the wrong lights.
:?:

RCW74
tadpole
tadpole

New GTF owner

Postby RCW74 » Thu May 07, 2009 3:37 pm

Hi

A specific lighting question for those in the know :D

I am a new owner of 2 adult GTF's. They have an Exo-Terra 2.0 compact fl. globe. At night I turn this off and use an Exo-Terra Night Glo Moonlight Lamp (15w). I am a bit concerned about whether or not this globe is OK Could someone please let me know, and if not, what should I be using at night for lighting instead?

Cheers
R

Ann
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Ann » Thu May 07, 2009 8:24 pm

I haven't seen how much light they give out but if it is similar to a faint "moon glow" then it will be fine.

I personally don't have night lighting on any of my tanks, but my house isn't pitch black at night.

Ann

RCW74
tadpole
tadpole

Moon glow

Postby RCW74 » Fri May 08, 2009 10:15 am

Hi Ann

Thanks for that advice. Yes it is a faint glow, slightly purple but it does not 'fluoresce'. Our house gets pretty dark so I thought a little light would be good. When I turn it on, the frogs come out and get quite active - so at least they seem to appreciate it!

james_meyer
spawn
spawn

Postby james_meyer » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:36 pm

I'm new to frogs and going to purchase a setup soon. I realise my frogs need UVA & UVB and that only reptile globes rated 2.0 are ok to avoid UV burns, and to avoid blacklight (moonlight lamps ok). (I'm buying Exo Terra products)

The question I would like answered (and I reckon I read it in Keeping Frogs somewhere, but 25 pages is a lot to sift through again), is what wattage is good. I'm looking at getting around 15W, but would around 25W be better/too much for frogs?

jackie boy
tadpole
tadpole

Postby jackie boy » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:39 pm

im just wondering if southern brownn tree frogs need a uv light coz the lady at the shop said so but people on this site tell me i dont ...is she trying to make money or do i need one?

please reply...Jack

Flackdaddy
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby Flackdaddy » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:09 am

My train of thought is to consider the natural behaviour of the species you are looking to keep. If it is normally exposed to U.V., then provide it. A lot of frog species get some UV, even when in hiding as they receive reflected UV from other surfaces. Some frogs, like Litoria fallax, would receive a fair amount of UV as they are always fairly exposed to it in the wild. Burrowing species which only come out at night or when it rains would probably not require it as they would be rarely exposed to it. Litoria caerulea, in my opinion, would not require a great deal of UV, as they typically hide somewhere dark and moist during the day and come out at night. That being said, they would receive a small amount of UV from reflection. Again, this is my opinion. I keep 4 Litoria chloris, and I use a Repti-Glo 2.0 and a Repti-Glo 5.0 in conjunction with each other, typically for 6 - 8 hours per day. The 2.0 gives a more full spectrum light, the 5.0 gives greater UVB. I use these because in the wild Litoria chloris live in the canopy of the trees, which would mean a fair deal of exposure to UV rays.

Nick Rolls
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Nick Rolls » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:57 pm

what about spotted marsh frogs?

Jowswa
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Jowswa » Sun May 02, 2010 9:49 pm

spotted marsh frogs don't require any lighting/heating

Return to “Keeping frogs”