Southern Orange Eye Tree

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Zeno
spawn
spawn

Southern Orange Eye Tree

Postby Zeno » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:04 pm

Hello,

Hope someone can give me a clue if the following problem
would be better in another area of the forum please.

I have a couple of large Poly tanks which the SOET's have been managing to climb up, I can only guess that they have suction pads to aid them on the smooth surface climb.

I don't want them to climb the tanks and so have put a tin strap around the tanks, high up, and attached a roll of wire netting to the strap, around both tanks - the netting comes off the tanks surfaces for approx. 8 inches.

Can anyone please tell me if the frogs will still be able to overcome
such a barrier because I have no idea how they go with wire netting -
can they somehow switch from the suction ability they possess, to a wire netting climbing ability ?

Thank You,
Kind Regards.

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:16 pm

Can you post a photo of what you are doing? I'm not sure whether the wire is just going around the tank, or if it juts out. Also, what kind of wire is it?

If they can't get past it, I'd be worried about them injuring themselves on it. If they rub against the wire trying to get past, they will abrase their skin which can cause bad infections.

Why don't you want them on the top of the tank?

Evan

Zeno
spawn
spawn

Postby Zeno » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:02 am

Evan wrote: I'm not sure whether the wire is just going around the tank, or if it juts out. Also, what kind of wire is it?

Why don't you want them on the top of the tank?

Evan

It's like a 'roll ' of ' chicken wire ' around each tank and yes it does protrude
or bulge out several inches from the tanks to hopefully act as a barrier - I was hoping someone here would say,

'No,' frogs will not attempt to climb up or over ' chicken wire. '

I was also hoping you wouldn't ask your final question Evan - are you always so inquisitive ?

I don't want them on the tanks because they continue their climb
up the ' roof to tanks ' water pipes, and onto the roof - that would be fine
but unfortunately the domino effect comes into play because they attract snakes - several times I caught snakes dropping from a tree over hanging the tanks and up the outside of the same water pipes onto the roof after the frogs - I deleted the tree so that solved the snake problem
permanently, then Possums were the the next pain I overcame, but now throughout the Summer there is somekind of
heavy-ish bird ( maybe an Owl ) which moves about on my tin roof all night after the frogs - regardless how many times I go out with a torch
to see what kind of bird it actually is he manages to POQ before I get in a position to check, and then flies back once I return to bed and it's quiet again - I have visions of this bird bringing along his family or mates or whatever and am determined not to put up with it next Summer if I am still alive and so am prepared to take any measures required to lose the source of the problem - apparently the frogs can sniff the water in the tanks and then the water in my gutters but if they had the brains to sniff in each direction while on the ground they might head towards a large dam I have only a hundred yards away and drink to their little heart's content.

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:27 am

If you stop them climbing the tanks (which would be very hard to do), then they will just climb up the sides of the house. I think the problem is that they are trying to get to the top of a canopy. They are canopy dwellers, and since you have less trees around, they are climbing to the top of the house. The best way to probably stop them, would be to plant lots of trees around the house (long term solution, but I can't think of any short-term).

Also, if the snakes were climbing to the top of the trees and dropping onto the house, then they are probably green or brown tree snakes, which are completely harmless. Did you get to ID or photograph the snakes?

The result of living in Qld, is that you have to live with nature, because it is almost impossible to try and stop animals from what they want to do. Especially tree frogs, as they are experts at getting their way. People who keep frogs have trouble keeping frogs inside small aquariums. Trying to keep them from a large area like the roof of a house is next to impossible!

Thanks,

Evan

Zeno
spawn
spawn

Postby Zeno » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:43 am

Evan wrote:If you stop them climbing the tanks (which would be very hard to do), then they will just climb up the sides of the house.

Thanks Evan - I built metre wide eaves on ALL sides of my shack so am hoping the frogs will not be
prepared to travel across a metre while in an upside down state.

No I didn't take any pics of snakes but since I deleted the tree I see them trying to find a method of climbing skywards off the ground but to no avail as the tanks reach up 8 or 9 feet - they come up on the balconies to see if there might be some way to get to the roof but i've made sure there isn't,
and won't be.

Can you think of any other site, such as ARC ? but not the forum,
who might have carried out research as to what they will not cross a barrier of ?

I am surrounded by forests and trees galore and a big dam so I prefer they all go and make those areas their playground, they certainly have a vast enough area without my shack, and I am making sure that's where each of them go.

Kind Regards.

Return to “Think Tank”