wild frog release time

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Lisa Churchward
spawn
spawn

wild frog release time

Postby Lisa Churchward » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:19 pm

Hello i was given 3 green frogs that was accidently taken from there home is it true that you have to keep them captive for 6 weeks ( i read this somewhere) If anyone can give me some advice because i would like to give these guys the best chance

thank you
Lisa :?

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:24 pm

Hi Lisa,

I have a few questions before I can answer. You don't have to keep them for 6 weeks. I think that is a rule for licenced frogs. You have to keep them for 6 weeks to prevent prolific trading of a frog and stressing it too much.

Under what circumstances were they taken from the wild? Were they collected as tapoles? How far from where they were collected are you keeping them? Where are you planning on releasing them? Are you keeping them with or near any other frogs?

Thanks,

Evan

Lisa Churchward
spawn
spawn

Postby Lisa Churchward » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:59 pm

hello

The frogs were bought in secound hand pots at the markets, three different sizes about 9cm, 7cm 5cm, the lady that bought the pots thought the people came from Gatton (30km) . the frogs are currently living in a 3 foot fish tank inside I do have a frog pond with stripys and i have heard dainty's and greenies ( i read that they have big homing instincts and it takes six weeks 2 lose it.)

thanks
lisa

Ann
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Ann » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:26 pm

This is from the Queensland frog group website, FAQ:

http://www.qldfrogs.asn.au/

5/ What do I do with a frog that has been accidentally transported in produce or a pot plant?

Phone Queensland Frog Society (3366 1868) or Queensland Parks & Wildlife Service to come & pick them up. Frogs, being territorial, will not want to live with you or in your garden and will kill themselves trying to return home.

Return to “Think Tank”