Frogs dead in my home

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Jess
spawn
spawn

Frogs dead in my home

Postby Jess » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:48 pm

I have recently moved house, to my delight there are many frogs here, to my distress I found 1 near dead (which I revived in some puddle water). Over the next 2 days I found 2 dead in my house :(. They've come in over night and dried out. I have not found any since as each morning I have a look ( I wouldn't want my baby girl munching on them). I have worked out a theory that as I leave a light on maybe the frogs are coming in to feed on bugs, but now that the moon is full they don't need to. Or could it just be that the terrential rains have stopped, replaced by light showers every few days? Any ideas anyone :?: And yes I have recently stopped leaving my light on and replaced it with a lamp as I also have a 2 year old who gets up through some nights and I didn't want him freaking out in our new home.

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:02 pm

They'd be moving indoors for the bugs, and are much more likely to move during the rain. The best option, is to probably provide somewhere in the room for the frogs to sleep during the day. Like a pot plant or something moist. Might be hard to baby-proof, but just something that is moist and dark.

If you do end up using a pot-plant, don't use any chemicals.

Evan

Jess
spawn
spawn

Live frog in my home

Postby Jess » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:16 am

I think I have discovered how frogs are getting into my home. Through a chimney (or next to it). I was just about to call it a night, when I thought I saw something fall from my ceiling and hop across the carpet. I turned on the lights and found a Perons Tree Frog was hopping around my lounge. So I got my camera shooed him outside and took a few pics. The real estate did have that it leaked around tha chimney, but not that it leaked frogs! (will get the other half up a ladder ASAP)
Thanks for your advice Evan a potted palm is moving in this afternoon.
I am now thinking that the other frogs got in this way and were maybe trying to get out as they were found near doors and under windows.

Return to “Think Tank”