Small spotted grass frogs...

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

mr_sikma
frog
frog

Small spotted grass frogs...

Postby mr_sikma » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:58 pm

Hey,

I was at a local fish store and they have some Small Spotted Grass Frogs

They are a dark brown in colour and very small at the moment. They have about 10-20 of them in a very tiny plastic container / tank with not alot of water. They only need a small space, not heating but some UV light.

They know what they are talking about there, as they have a great set-up with GTF's etc but they just said they are called "Grass Frogs' ???

I asked if they were 'Marsh Frogs' and they said no they are different. They are very active and none of them were on the side of the tank, all of them were on the floor of the tank hopping around!

Also they are only $5- each!!!

They have them advertised as the same thing in this weeks trader;

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/addisplay.asp?State=SA&sMsg=keywordsearch&origpage=1

What do you think they might be?

Thanks

speck
frog
frog

Postby speck » Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:05 pm

I reckon they're spotted marsh frogs like Dave Black suggested. I didn't know that spotted marsh frogs could also be called spotted grass frogs before he said anything.

If you ask me, frogs have way too many common names!

mr_sikma
frog
frog

Postby mr_sikma » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:12 pm

Yeah i did ask if they were Marsh Frogs but they insised that they werent :?

They told me they were different as the Grass Frogs dont need alot of water etc and not alot of room, but the Marsh Frogs need alot of water, etc.

Any other ideas? I mite try and get some pics....

obsidian
frog
frog

Postby obsidian » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:39 pm

If they can't tell you the "proper" name (like the latin name) for the species... I wouldn't buy from them. If they don't know what they are selling, they shouldn't sell them, and we shouldn't support them by buying from them.

--my humble opinion

Ann
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Ann » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:19 pm

Class: Amphibia
Order: Anura
Family: Limnodynastidae
Genus: Limnodynastes
Species: Limnodynastes tasmaniensis Günther, 1858
... "Spotted Grass Frog

See if I can find a pic, be back in a sec! :)

Ann
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Ann » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:21 pm

Ann
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Ann » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:28 pm

Looks like they are the same:

http://research.amnh.org/herpetology/am ... p?id=12079

Limnodynastes tasmaniensis

English Names
Spotted Grass Frog (Cogger, 1975, Rept. Amph. Australia, : 64; Ananjeva, Borkin, Darevsky, and Orlov, 1988, Dict. Amph. Rept. Five Languages, : 104; Frank and Ramus, 1995, Compl. Guide Scient. Common Names Amph. Rept. World, : 94; Barker, Grigg, and Tyler, 1995, Field Guide Aust. Frogs., Ed. 2, : 197).
Spotted Marsh Frog (Martin and Littlejohn, 1982, Tasman. Amph., : 7; Ananjeva, Borkin, Darevsky, and Orlov, 1988, Dict. Amph. Rept. Five Languages, : 104).
Spotted Marshfrog (Ingram, Nattrass, and Czechura, 1993, Mem. Queensland Mus., 33: 223).
Marbled Frog (Waite, 1929, Rept. Amph. S. Aust., : 251; Tyler, Smith, and Johnstone, 1984, Frogs W. Aust., : 61; Ananjeva, Borkin, Darevsky, and Orlov, 1988, Dict. Amph. Rept. Five Languages, : 104).

obsidian
frog
frog

Postby obsidian » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:42 pm

If mine hadn't escaped I could take a pic of mine.... it was nearly black (very dark brown), with dark green spots (in that same irregular shape as in that pic) The line went lighter and darker, so sometimes was hardly visable.

mr_sikma
frog
frog

Postby mr_sikma » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:00 pm

Uh huh :D

So there is such a thing.

Any idea where i can find out more about them, eg. habitat, feeding?

They are only $5- :)

mr_sikma
frog
frog

Postby mr_sikma » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:01 pm

Uh huh :D Thanks very much for that Meshe

So there is such a thing.

Any idea where i can find out more about them, eg. habitat, feeding?

They are only $5- :)

Ann
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Ann » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:43 am

http://frogs.org.au/frogs/fov.php?frog_id=22

By doing a few searches on the scientific name it would appear that a Spotted Grass Frog and and a Spotted Marsh Frog ARE the same thing.

http://www.geocities.com/gem3007/limtasma.htm

http://www.museum.vic.gov.au/infosheets/10273.pdf

obsidian
frog
frog

Postby obsidian » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:26 pm

which is why I wouldn't support the shop by buying them from there.

If they are spotted marsh frogs, then
1). They should know that.. and
2). They are wrong about them not needing a lot of water.

Surely the shop is required to keep records of the frogs they get in? If so, they should know the name of the frogs, and even if they don't, thats bad not to.

I'm quite stingy and don't like to spend a lot of money if I don't have to... but I'd rather pay twice as much and get them from a place that knows what they are, than getting cheap frogs from somewhere that doesn't.

I would be worried that if they don't even know what frogs they are, then they obviously aren't caring enough for the frogs they have, and I would rather give my precious money to someone I felt was doing better for the frogs.

Didn't you say you saw them in another shop for $9.95 each? Thats not much more to pay....

mr_sikma
frog
frog

Postby mr_sikma » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:15 am

Thanks again ;)

Yeah fair enough, but people do make mistakes. If they get told by their suppliers that they are something, then they would ovbiously go along with that! They were $9.95 and have gone down to $5-

I will probably stick to my other frog shop anyway, he seems to know more and has a few set-ups with frogs not for sale, so he must be pretty keen on them!

Greg, Adelaide
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Greg, Adelaide » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:50 pm

Spotted Grass Frogs = Spotted Marsh Frogs = Limnodynastes tasmaniensis. This is pretty much oommon knowledge.

The confusion might have arisen about the 'Marsh Frogs' phrase as sometimes Barking Marsh Frogs (Long Thumbed frogs, Limnodynastes fletcheri) are sometimes just referred to as "Marsh frogs" in SA.
They are similar in appearence so this is probably what they thought you were asking.

These frogs do need some water if you are looking to breed them, but they will thrive happily as long as they have a nearby water source to rehydrate and some moist cover to hide under during the day.

mr_sikma
frog
frog

Postby mr_sikma » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:54 am

Greg, Adelaide wrote:Spotted Grass Frogs = Spotted Marsh Frogs = Limnodynastes tasmaniensis. This is pretty much oommon knowledge.

Not if you have only been interested in frogs for about a month :wink:

Greg, Adelaide
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Greg, Adelaide » Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:23 pm

yeah
I actually meant more that they were the ones used commonly Prbly "common usage" was a better term than "commom knowledge"

mr_sikma
frog
frog

Postby mr_sikma » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:13 am

:lol:

just kiddin' with you anyway :wink:

Return to “Identification”