what sort of headlamps do people use?

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

cferart
frog
frog

what sort of headlamps do people use?

Postby cferart » Tue May 01, 2007 8:31 pm

hi everyone
I am thinking of getting a headlamp to help me 'frog spot' in the garden.

What sort of headlamp would be best?

cheers
Catherine

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Tue May 01, 2007 10:25 pm

You can by a LED one from a camping shop, however I don't find them effective enough, so I customised mine and added a 20W halogen light to the top which is much more effective.

Edgee
frog
frog

Postby Edgee » Wed May 02, 2007 4:33 am

I was just thinking about this the other day as the led one that I bought before going to the Daintree was not effective enough.
I suppose I could go and spend a ridiculous amount of money but it is easier to get other peoples opinions and then make a smart choice.

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Wed May 02, 2007 10:54 am

Mine cost me about 60$ all up, that includes battery and charger. Me and my dad have also made headtorches for other people, so if anyone in Sydney would like a custom halogen headtorch for $60, pm me.

rionatindal
frog
frog

Postby rionatindal » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:45 am

I was recommended petzel head LED headlight with 3 functions it serves me ok... I usually find what I frog anyway...and my headlight has spotlight up to 20 metres (caving type of headlight) and diverse lens over it, makes it wide angle and it covers 5 metres area in front of me, good for picking up the shine or the movement..I dont like it TOO bright as I need to retain some of night vision to enable me to see better when i turn off the light to listen to frog calls (not me, someone else !) and I had found a frog in dim light by accident so the light I have is good enough for me, wont blind me ! when I turn it on, and off etc

but I often take dolphin touch as supporting light...as can drop it in any water if I need 2 hands to locate it, not worry about mud or water damage, provides good backlight for my photos of frogs.

it cost me 140 and it is fine, still has same batteries since I got it last Feb, and I have used and frogged 9 times since lasting about 5 -6 hours each not bad huh ?

it is really a matter of personal choice and I will prob ask for one made as someone had it made and he had said it was great. Can't have too many lights !!!!

Riona

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:25 am

Once someone gets converted to halogen (like me 8) ) you never go back, I don't think I've used a hand torch or any other torch when frogging for 4 years!

rionatindal
frog
frog

Postby rionatindal » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:54 pm

ok u got me "sold", i will pm you later and get u to make me one, i got some money left from scholaship.

:wink:

riona

Eipper
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Eipper » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:19 pm

HI all,

I am using a myo5 petzel (approx 100) with a dolphin hand held (20) or a light force handheld spot (30 watt bulb, 170mm reflector about 350) the spot lasts about 4 hours and is so bright it makes a dolphin look like a candle! It picks up mammal eyes well over 200m.

Cheers,
Scott

rionatindal
frog
frog

Postby rionatindal » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:19 pm

when I went froging with froggyboy86 - Aaron he had that headlamp which was made by Tnarg - Grant and boy........!!!!!.............. his just lit up whole forest hee hee I couldnt help laughing, made my own stuff pretty redundant and dim. 8) :roll: .and I kept on asking him to shine it my way often thru the frogging at Tomaree...
:idea: :lol:
he jokingly said to me, that "Grant must have made it that bright as to help poor aaron find frogs cos he never finds any"

so I am looking forward to it and being the moon literally in the forest !!!

Riona

Return to “Think Tank”