Where have the frogs gone?

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Cindy
tadpole
tadpole

Where have the frogs gone?

Postby Cindy » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:04 pm

In March my dam was so noisy, as was the dam across the road, and the pond outside my lounge room. Can anyone explain why they have stopped so suddenly? I don't think the weather has changed that much since March. I walk outside to silence now and I miss the noise.

I live on the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria.
Thanks ~ Cindy

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:17 pm

It is the end of the season, so they are calling less and less. It is not only temperature (though it has changed since early March), but also day length that they go by. You should begin to hear the winter frogs now, but they are usually less noisy, and there are not nearly as many species.

It sucks that we have to go half the year without many frogs, but we do. Makes you look forward to the next frogging season :).

Evan

Cindy
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Cindy » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:36 pm

Thanks Evan,
I will have to spend more time at the dam straining to hear those Winter frogs then.
~Cindy

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:36 pm

Yep end of the season means no frogs for a while...depressing time of the year I know, however its better than when there are no frogs in spring and summer because it's too dry :(

Cindy
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Cindy » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:22 am

Good news.
Yesterday my mother was removing slime from the ponds and came across lots of tadpoles. The joys of Winter frogs begin!
I am very excited.
:P :P :P

Return to “Think Tank”