An oddity in the behaviour of L. ewingii

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

phonetic fish
metamorphling
metamorphling

An oddity in the behaviour of L. ewingii

Postby phonetic fish » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:01 pm

since moving my frogs (all L. ewingii) into a larger (much much larger) environment I noticed an odd thing about one of the 'babies'. I watched them all for the better part of an hour and this one frog kept displaying the following behaviours:

climbing up the rock at the far end of the tank directly beside the water filter, leaping off the rock and chasing the bubbles around before climbing out again,

and

sucking in his/her throat sack (cant remember the correct name for it) and then puffing it out to at least twice its usual size. The throat sack is sucked in to make a barely visible concave area under the lower jaw and then blows up to be twice the size of its "normal" in/out movement.

I am absolutely sure that this little one is too young to be trying to croak as he/she is just a few weeks past being a tadpole (made its rocky debut around the first week of the new year)

Is this normal behaviour? Was the frog excited? could there be something wrong? or am I just being a paranoid mother hen?

also, how can I tell if "miss croaky" is ready to shed? she is very bloated at the moment and does this cute little open mouth yawn a few times a day. she is also very sluggish at the moment... actualy Lazy is more the word for it. she actualy waits til the crickets come into striking range rater than jumping after them like she would normaly do.

Speedbird
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby Speedbird » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:20 pm

My marshie was doing the same thing Jo, he was doing that yawning thing and was quite bloated at the time. He usually jumps to the crickets so at least i know hes not lazy, but lately he will sit on a rock and look comfortable but in the evening hes not very active. He does the "yawns" every now and then. How long would it usually take to shed?

Ann
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Ann » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:07 am

My frogs shed very quick, from the time I notice the yawning and blowing up etc. its all over within 1/2 hour. Search the site I think there was some suggestion of other causes of the blowing up etc.
Ann

phonetic fish
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby phonetic fish » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:56 am

thanks for that Ann.

the odd thing about the Baby and his/her throat sac thing is still happening once or twice every day or so (that I see) and I am in the habit of watching them for at least an hour of an evening around dusk (while my new bug trap works out the back) as well as my "missing time" during the day... "where did the time go? oh, it went missing while i was watching the frogs." :oops: so it usualy adds up to about 3-4 hours a day snatched in 10-20 minute blocks.

Jodi

Ann
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Ann » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:40 am

I have also noticed that our snakes are choosing colder areas of the tank at the moment, maybe be they are picking up on seasonal changes. Our beardies go into hibernation, even though there tank is heated and the UV is the same at the time, so they must be able to pick up on external weather changes, they haven't gone into hibernation yet but they are certainly a lot lazier in the last few weeks.
Ann

isa
tadpole
tadpole

Postby isa » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:13 am

http://www.kingsnake.com/treefrogfaq/html/shedding.htm
This site may help you, i have my red eyes do the same thing, it mite be what this site suggests?

Return to “Think Tank”