Dainty+ Red Eyes

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

kermy
tadpole
tadpole

Dainty+ Red Eyes

Postby kermy » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:47 pm

Could you put dainty's and red eyes in together?
I want both!

:D

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:48 pm

Should be fine, so long as there is no huge size difference, and you have done the normal quartine period.

kermy
tadpole
tadpole

Postby kermy » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:55 pm

Woah, that was a quick reply.
Yay! I'm fully pumped now.

Edgee
frog
frog

Postby Edgee » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:20 am

I wouldn't suggest it.
It would be fine for a while but the redeyes will eventually get to over double the size of the daintys and then they will eat them.
As I said, fine at first but eventually you're going to have to separate them.

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:19 am

I don't think it should be a problem, unless there is a huge growth spurt by the red-eye before the graceful. They are only 2cm difference at full size, and I can't imagine that being enough for one to eat or harm the other.

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:14 am

There might be a problem with feeding as I've noticed that chloris can be a bit crazy when it comes to food and danity's like to just sit around and not notice what going on, I dunno though, maybe it was just the frogs I was taking care of.

Edgee
frog
frog

Postby Edgee » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:38 am

Must have been the one's you were taking care of Grant because my daintys, especially the female, are pretty good eaters and my redeyes are so so. They eat when they have to and will just leave crickets jumping around the tank sometimes.
Evan, If you could see the true size difference, length and breadth, of the 2 species next to each other, you would see how easily daintys would fit into the redeyes mouths.
Trust me on this one.

Brad M
frog
frog

Postby Brad M » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:10 pm

Edgee wrote:Evan, If you could see the true size difference, length and breadth, of the 2 species next to each other, you would see how easily daintys would fit into the redeyes mouths.
Trust me on this one.

Second that.

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:20 pm

Now that I think about it, I have seen some pretty huge chloris. I haven't seen any Dainties though, so don't really know what their size is.

Ellie
spawn
spawn

no probs

Postby Ellie » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:42 pm

I had a dainty and a red eye in a tank together for 2 years with no probs. That said, my red eye is pretty small and so the size difference was negligible (<1cm). I did notice the red eye was quite a voracious eater while the dainty prefered eatingonly in the wee hours of the morning. Nevertheless he survived fine and never looked underfed.

Return to “Think Tank”