What frog is this from Warrandyte?

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

MarkWill
tadpole
tadpole

What frog is this from Warrandyte?

Postby MarkWill » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:44 pm

My sister in Warrandyte, Melbourne, has come across the frog photographed below. She has heard a call that she cannot identify, which we think may below to this frog. The call is a single "eep" - and the "eep"s are about 5 to 10 seconds apart. She hears many frogs calling like this, so it's not just a one off.

Can anyone help id it? Thanks!
Attachments
DSCN0428.JPG

redeye
tadpole
tadpole

frog id

Postby redeye » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:11 am

hi :D

nice pic two by the way,really nice looking frog,i reckon it is a

plains tree frog (litoria paraewingi),from the dark stripe that runs from the nostril through the eye and tympanum,and the call is like a "weep,weep"
have you got a recording of call at all :? i hope iam right anyway
hope you get the answer soon anyway,hope this helps

kindest regards matt

robert
tadpole
tadpole

Postby robert » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:56 pm

I'm not sure about the Plains Treefrog. That and the Brown Treefrog have a continuous cree-cree-cree call. Unless the call belongs to a different frog which seems quite possible eg one of the froglets that gives a criiik or a single bleat.
Very tricky one - these small frogs all look similar until you inspect them carefully - underneath, inside limbs etc. But it certainly appears to one of the treefrogs.
Anyone from ARC know?

MarkWill
tadpole
tadpole

Postby MarkWill » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:26 pm

Thanks for the ideas so far! It is a possibility that the call my sister is hearing is not from the frog she photographed - but she's pretty sure it is. The call she hears doesn't match the plains tree frog, but the pic looks like it to me too Matt. I've asked her to try and get an audio recording, but that may take some time.

Please keep the ideas coming, and hopefully someone from the ARC can help out too :D

redeye
tadpole
tadpole

frog

Postby redeye » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:13 pm

Hi mate, :D

no worries mate,i hope you get the correct answer anyway,

kindest regards matt

MarkWill
tadpole
tadpole

Postby MarkWill » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:12 pm

excellent - thanks all, and onya Dave.... the pressure's off u now ;)

Given what you're saying, and going off the excellent frogs.org.au site, I think my sister's pic is of a Litoria paraewingi.

I will have to play my sister the various froglet calls and see if one of those is the call she's hearing

It's great that she's got various frogs around to even have this problem of identification to begin with :lol:

Return to “Identification”