Farming Practices

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Farming Practices

Postby Evan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:14 pm

If a farmer were to spray his crop, and it led to the death of hundreds of frogs on his dam. What is the legality of this? Should the spray be removed from the market, are there still sprays which cause mass deaths which are on the market?

Thanks,

Evan

samehada
frog
frog

Postby samehada » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:12 am

i learnt something about this in environmental issues class at uni and if its the farmers land then he can do whatever he wants, thats why there have been these things i dont know what you call them but its so the farmers maintain their land for wildlife eg conserve riparian zones on their property stuff like that.

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:37 am

If there was endangered species or endangered populations than it could be a different story, you could probably make a complaint to national parks and see if they can do anything about it.

Brad M
frog
frog

Postby Brad M » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:22 pm

It would be illegal if the farmer killed the frogs deliberately, but how are you going to find that out..... I doubt the spray would be removed from the market and the first question that should be answered, how would anyone know that all the frogs are wiped on in the farmers dam?

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:37 pm

I didn't say wiped out, but had a mass death.

A spray which kills a large number of frogs in a dam is a seriously bad spray. It should be very dilute by the time it reaches the dam. Yes, it could easily kill whatever is in the crop, but not in the runoff! Also, if this stuff were to get in to a river or creek system, what kind of damage is it going to cause?

Pesticides have been removed from the market because of thier impact on the environment. But it seems that the organism in the decline has to be an American symbol before anything is done about it. :roll:

Brad M
frog
frog

Postby Brad M » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:15 pm

evan wrote:...Also, if this stuff were to get in to a river or creek system, what kind of damage is it going to cause?...

Well that would depend on, how much spray was used, how consentrated the spray was, the size of the creek/river, how close the spray was used, whether the creek/river was healthy to start with, amount of water flowing down the creek/river.... a whole number of variables.

rionatindal
frog
frog

chemical and frog impact

Postby rionatindal » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:12 am

there are strict guidelines determining chemicals and farmers are required by law to keep a registered list of chemicals and guidelines in Victoira is stricter than NSW but still same moral and ethics. It depends on farmers to keep the toe in line. I would say most farmers DO care. I am going to Weewaa and Moree, a huge huge cotton farming belt and frog there in a few weeks, and frogs are IN farming areas. I have permission to go on private properties and have a look.

NPWS do montior in rural areas, particularly irrgiation (spelling, sorry) and crop farming.

Most chemicals are now required to be "Where practical, the use of non PEA (‘frog friendly’) glyphosate is preferred as it
poses a lower risk to users and the environment." from CFA site, and look in chemical control paragragh on the site http://www.dpiw.tas.gov.au/inter.nsf/We ... 243PY?open

so there are SO many debates and issues. All people like you and myself can do, is to keep an eye out, when frogging, report anything werid, not right or suspect something whiffy.... NPWS do take you seriously and same for govenment envrionmental protection group.. some years back went a big "clean up" see http://www.deh.gov.au/soe/2001/land/land06-5.html

so much and so distressing but there is hope. Action is happening. there is HOPE ....just need more awareness...fast....

(edit - I really hate these aerial sprays from a modifed spray plane, think of wind drift, think of extremely fine mist mixing with humidiity and travel up to 1km on wind draft and fall down as dew when it cools in evening..... shudder !!)

riona

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:26 am

Thanks Riona.

I know that farms are a great place for frogs, and they are sometimes the only native wildlife there. On my mum's farm, which is only 18 acres, I have found 12 species of frog, and suspect a few more. I haven't even found any Uperoleia yet. I am sure that I have heard them, just not by sight as they can be hard to locate.

The only other native wildlife I have seen are snakes, birds, a few skinks and bandicoots.

rionatindal
frog
frog

Postby rionatindal » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:56 am

ta.

one day...... the farms that I am visiting, is undergoing a plan, to open and operate ecotourism - camping only, on specifc designations, limited people and as farmer in question doing the concept is a friend of mine and was ex ranger. he knows frogs and his stuff so when that opens to froggies, bird watchers I will let you know !!!!! plenty of burrowing frogs. He owns 3 farms spread over wee waa, south of moree and under Mt kapatar. awesome places he tries to keep an aim of keeping it minimum of 40% bush/regeneration and 20% or so untouched pristine habitait sections on each of his farms.

better get back to work ! :(
Riona

Return to “Think Tank”