Spam

Containing the most important things that you need to know. If there's a new post since your last visit, please read it. Includes guidelines for making valuable contributions (and thus enhancing the overall value of the Community).

Moderator: Chris Key

Chris Key
Community Elder
Community Elder

Spam

Postby Chris Key » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:00 pm

Hi to everyone that still tries to visit this forum. I've taken some emergency measures for the next couple of days to stem the tide of spam whilst I try and fix it - the most obvious one is everyone can only make one post per hour! I'll remove it in a few days, by which stage I should be able to tell if the spam will be reduced.

The biggest problem we had was there's somewhere in the region of 9000+ registered users, 95% of which aren't interested in frogs! It's going to take some time to apply some industrial strength spam-killer to these accounts but hopefully we won't get new accounts being created.

If you're still around, thanks for your patience.

Chris

Chris Key
Community Elder
Community Elder

Re: Spam

Postby Chris Key » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:51 am

Hello to everyone who is still here :)

I've made some headway with the spam! New registrations have dropped drastically. New posts per day have also dropped from over 300 to practically zero. I've made some big deletions, so I apologise if I accidentally deleted legitimate users - the mass deletes were mostly done on people registered in the last year with zero posts.

I'll keep plodding away at the posts that have spam in them, hopefully people will return here soon :) I've changed the limit on posting back to the original one / minute, if spambots suddenly go crazy I'll change it again.

thanks
Chris

Return to “Announcements”