Just built a new frog pond.

"...get frogs/tadpoles for my garden"; "find and catch a particular frog from the wild"; "release some frogs". A special forum where the answer is almost always "it is illegal (and not recommended)" but you can ask anyway.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

carrpin
spawn
spawn

Just built a new frog pond.

Postby carrpin » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:28 pm

If I build it will they come?
Well Ive done that bit .
My pond is about 2mx1.8 m and about 300mm deep with logs and rocks.
I have yet to finalise the external plants . I am not interested in 'owning' exotics but simply in providing a froggy residence for locals.

The reserve across the road was home to 100's ,thousands in one spot maybe but DPI . LMA and Parks Vic in their wisdom committed landslaughter and removed so much vegetation and audibly many of the resident frogs I thought I'd do my bit and provide some accommodation.
We are across a very busy road from the reserve. How Will they get here ?
How far would they travel ? There is a stream about 500m away on our side .

We'd like to have froggy choruses asap ..

Simmo2302
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Simmo2302 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:30 pm

set up outside speakers and play frog calls of your local species at night time. that should bring them in.

carrpin
spawn
spawn

Postby carrpin » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:08 pm

Simmo2302 wrote:set up outside speakers and play frog calls of your local species at night time. that should bring them in.

Ok will give that a try . Ive got 100w of sound .Might attract neighbours too. Hopefully the smart looking lady over the back fence too.

Sean
frog
frog

Postby Sean » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:55 am

Sounds good, can you post some pics? I'm looking to get some ideas for when I build mine. 8)

With plants I was thinking of getting some tall Tall Sedge (Carex appressa) but the site I was going to source seeds from has sold out.

How far would they travel ? There is a stream about 500m away on our side .

You would be surprised at how far frogs can travel. Incidentally, some small frogs travel much further then say the Growling Grass Frog. I read a paper on it recently, I'll try to find it when I get home.

carrpin
spawn
spawn

still finalising plants and edging

Postby carrpin » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:45 am

start
Attachments
frog 1.jpg

carrpin
spawn
spawn

end in sight

Postby carrpin » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:44 am

Almost there. Needs plant and frogs and a few more rocks . I havent decided which pavers to remove to allow frogs direct access to the soil. I have 10 larger pix in a zip file, start to current state of play. Its too big to upload . Let me know if you want them and Ill email them to you or use yousendit
Attachments
frog 10.JPG

Sean
frog
frog

Postby Sean » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:23 pm

Cool, will be awesome when you get the plants. 8)

Here's that article I mentioned: (By Geoff Heard)
http://gwheardresearch.wordpress.com/20 ... tough-guy/

"During my PhD I marked ~800 Growlers across 19 wetlands in northern Melbourne. Of the 131 that I recaptured, the longest recorded dispersal distance was only 430 m, and the majority stayed pretty close to the spot where I first found them."

"Take the Brown Tree Frog and the Common Froglet. Recent genetic work to the east of Melbourne has shown that populations of these frogs display considerable gene flow even when separated by distances of 8 km."

Return to “Where can I ... ?”