feeding my tadpole

"...get frogs/tadpoles for my garden"; "find and catch a particular frog from the wild"; "release some frogs". A special forum where the answer is almost always "it is illegal (and not recommended)" but you can ask anyway.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Nasser-f
spawn
spawn

feeding my tadpole

Postby Nasser-f » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:28 pm

Hi everybody,

I catched a tadpole from a pond in a park near my house. I have kept the tadpole in a jar full of mineral water. I put some plant roots in the jar for feeding mt tadpole. I want to show growing and metamorphic process to my daughter. The tadpole now has been in our house for three weeks.
Please kindly anyone guide me for better feeding it. Is there any ready foods in the market for my tadpole for speeding up its growing? And that how can I identify the exact type of my tadpole?
If so please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Nasser

Sean
frog
frog

Postby Sean » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:56 pm

Hi Nasser,

This site is on Australian frogs, you are very welcome here, but our knowledge of frogs outside of Australia is limited. Also, different countries have different laws, it is illegal to collect wild frogs in many countries.

The best water for tadpoles is generally fresh rainwater or plain bottled water (not sparkling or chlorinated). Mineral water here refers to a water that is slightly fizzy to drink, which is not suitable for tadpoles.

Also, a jar is too small, I think you want something like a plastic 10 liter storage container. This will give it more room to reach its maximum size.

I didn't know tadpoles ate roots, but seeing that it has survived for three weeks they must. What type of plant roots are you feeding it? Do you know if wild tadpoles eat roots in Iran? I'm just interested to know more.

In the past I have feed them frozen endive or lettuce. I just wash it really well in water, dry it then freeze it. You can then smash it into tiny pieces and store it in a container in the freezer. Just scoop a little bit out each day for it (careful not too much).

Hope that helps. Post us a photo when you can.
Sean

Take a look at this site as well:
http://www.frogsafe.org.au/ponds/raising_tadpoles.shtml

taniaaust1
tadpole
tadpole

Postby taniaaust1 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:02 pm

I know this is an old post but thought I'd reply to it in case anyone else has same question

You could try fish food flakes (crushed up very small) to see if they eat that, some tabpoles also feed a little on the green of aquarium or pond plants

Return to “Where can I ... ?”