What size enclosure for southern brown tree frogs (2 )

"...get frogs/tadpoles for my garden"; "find and catch a particular frog from the wild"; "release some frogs". A special forum where the answer is almost always "it is illegal (and not recommended)" but you can ask anyway.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Heath T
spawn
spawn

What size enclosure for southern brown tree frogs (2 )

Postby Heath T » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:30 pm

Hey. I am new to frogs and i really want two Southern Brown Tree Frogs but i just dont know what the sutible enclosure size is and what is needed for 2 frogs. I would also like to breed so i need a big enough enclouse. What would be the sutible size. please help. :D

Sean
frog
frog

Postby Sean » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:31 pm

Hi Heath, I am more into the frog conservation side of stuff so I don't know too much about keeping frogs. All I can really do is point you to what others have said in the past, sorry.

I found on old thread where Ann recommends a 25 gallon tank for two Southern Brown Tree Frogs. If you have room you could always go bigger your frogs will just have more room and you can add to your collection later. :)

Ann wrote:...
TEMP: if you live in Vic or NSW they will not require any additional heating/cooling. keep the temp at around 10-30c

HUMIDITY: keep the humidity at around 60%. if you are having troubles rising or decreasing the humidty, read on the green tree frog page.

ENCLOSURE: BTF's(brown tree frogs) can be kept in enclosures twice as small as green tree frogs. for one BTF a 20 gallon will be fine. and then each BTF you add you must also add 5gallons. furnish the aqurium similar to that of a GTF's. BTF's are semi aboreal so they do require ground space to. for more info check "enclosure" on the green tree frog page.

LIGHTING: read on the GTF page.

BREEDING: if you are living in an area where these species naturally occur, you will need no additional heating or cooling. just spray the enclosure alot more in summer.

Gerry Marantelli wrote:growing frogs need about 5-10 food items 2-3 times/week food should be about same size as distance between frogs eyes.
Adult (non-growing) frogs should get about half this - and can be fed once a week
SBTFs love flies!! and you can get them cheap in the ARCade

The full thread is here: http://frogs.org.au/community/viewtopic.php?p=12168
The Green Tree Frog page mentioned is this one: http://luke_zecevic.tripod.com/frogsofa ... a/id1.html
And there is more Green Tree Frog information here: http://frogs.org.au/arc/caresheets.html

Heath T
spawn
spawn

Postby Heath T » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:58 am

Thanks heaps for that. :o it seems to be really quiet on here at the moment?

Return to “Where can I ... ?”