Tadpole friendly fish

"...get frogs/tadpoles for my garden"; "find and catch a particular frog from the wild"; "release some frogs". A special forum where the answer is almost always "it is illegal (and not recommended)" but you can ask anyway.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

NativeGardener
spawn
spawn

Tadpole friendly fish

Postby NativeGardener » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:51 am

I want to get some fish indigenous to the Melbourne area that are tadpole friendly to put in my frog basin. I read that dwarf galaxias are most suitable, but threatened, so protected in Vic and therefore illegal to keep. Australian smelt are apparently good, but easily stressed in transport. The Southern Pygym Perch is another one I've read about. I've tried both Boronia and Blackburn Aquarium, but they both currently only have Murray Rainbows which are not indigenous to Melbourne. I'm not interested in White Clouds because apart from being introduced in Australia, they wreak havoc in some areas. I was wondering if any forum members privately sell either the Australian Smelt or Southern Pygmy Perch or if someone could advise where I might find them.

Cheers,
NativeGardener

Tin Lizzy
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Tin Lizzy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:05 pm

Try Coburg Aquarium, it does carry some native coldwater fish and possibly they might have breeder contacts?

Return to “Where can I ... ?”