Driftwood

"...get frogs/tadpoles for my garden"; "find and catch a particular frog from the wild"; "release some frogs". A special forum where the answer is almost always "it is illegal (and not recommended)" but you can ask anyway.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Phillip
frog
frog

Driftwood

Postby Phillip » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:42 pm

Where can I find/ buy driftwood?
Thanks, Phil

UuserMeLiam
frog
frog

Anywhere

Postby UuserMeLiam » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:53 pm

You can find drift wood practically anywhere...

You can buy wood for fires and use that... Down at the beach.... local ponds and rivers just need to look around (also Local parks)

Driftwood looks nice in vivariums but make sure you kill all bacteria and fungi!! As it grows very well in terrariums :S which i now have a problem with..... even with betadine :S

Cheers,
Liam

Kristen
frog
frog

Postby Kristen » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:58 pm

Alot of Aquariums have it, but There's some at the beach like Liam said.

Marshie Man
frog
frog

Postby Marshie Man » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:34 pm

Aquriums have very nice looking driftwood but you easily find it where ever water id. Just make sure when you use drift wood that you found at the beach that you soak it in water out side for a couple of days.

anastasia courtney
frog
frog

Postby anastasia courtney » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:11 am

Be carful about where you get the driftwood from. Like others have said it can contain bacteria which can be very hard to kill. Soaking it in water won't kill the bacteria/fungi It will only remove any salt in the wood (if collected from the beach) You would have to continue to change the socking water over a couple of days as the saltier the water is the less salt it will be able to extract from the wood.
You should 'cook' the wood in the oven at a low temp for a few hours to try and kill as many bacteria/fungi/parasites. Keeping in mind this will not kill everything that could potentially be on the wood so it is still a risk collecting wood from the wild. Also in a lot of places it is illegal to collect wood and things from the wild as they are habitats for other creatures so just be aware.
Pet shops do have a good range of driftwoods, if you can wait until Feb last year at the expo one of the shops was selling driftwood quite cheep and they had some quite big stuff that most pet shops don't have.

casi_6789
tadpole
tadpole

Postby casi_6789 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:20 pm

I have a fantastic source here in Tas, it's great for tanks because it's soo light weight. After woody rivers have finished flooding large groups of it will be banked up on rocks. Gorges, local rivers, dams, usually on the shoreline of salt water beaches collected under a bush or something. Pet stores like pet barn or pets domain should sell it but they charge alot.

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:14 pm

Posting in an existing post to save making a new one that would be the same is this one.

Adelaidians i am in need of some driftwood a couple of pieces, need some big one's 45cm and longer and some small one's also,

Changing my tank making it more green this time with more stuff in it.

Anyone know where i can find some of this???

Cheers,
Troy

Who
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Who » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:03 pm

Troy,

If you don't find some from a member, there's a bunch on gumtree.com.au, check out the following Ad ID's, just post the number into gumtree's search field.

Dirtgirl
spawn
spawn

Postby Dirtgirl » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:42 pm

Visit www.wilddecor.com.au. They are wholesale suppliers and can get you in touch with retailers in your area. :wink:

taniaaust1
tadpole
tadpole

Postby taniaaust1 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:01 pm

I brought my driftwood from www.livefish.com (you can get it sent Australia wide). Im planning to get more throu them. I also got some murray river rainbow fish from them for my frog pond which were a third of the price of the ones selling in the Adelaide pet shops.

The fish were breeding within a month so Im going to sell some and the fish would of then paid for themselves. I just got some newborn tabpoles breeding in my pond so I'll see how things go. Those fish do have very small months and Ive seen them struggle to eat a extra small cricket. They probably cant cope with anything bigger then a small ant.

Return to “Where can I ... ?”