Where can i buy tadpoles in SA!

"...get frogs/tadpoles for my garden"; "find and catch a particular frog from the wild"; "release some frogs". A special forum where the answer is almost always "it is illegal (and not recommended)" but you can ask anyway.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

UuserMeLiam
frog
frog

Where can i buy tadpoles in SA!

Postby UuserMeLiam » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:43 pm

Im having trouble finding tadpoles/morphs in SA, i would very much appreciate some help locating some in and around adelaide. I would prefer Southern Brown tree frogs tadpoles (Litoria ewingii) Or someone Red eye tree frog tadpoles/Morphs (Litoria Chloris) If no luck also would like some Peron's tree frogs Thnx! Cheers, Liam.

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:21 pm

yeah well its coming to the season for them frogs to spawn but you might have to wait another couple of weeks before someone will have them.

I know seaview aquariums have marsh tadpoles, they can get litoria ewingii's tadpoles and i think litoria peronii tadpoles just give them a call and ask them

I aksed them about the ewingii's and they could only get me tadpoles. going back 5 months ago.

UuserMeLiam
frog
frog

Postby UuserMeLiam » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:46 pm

Oh kk, i might give them a buzz Or pop into their store :) Thnx for the help. Mybe some more posts will help!

antstorm
tadpole
tadpole

Postby antstorm » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:49 am

fish palais in semaphore park usually have taddies , i got my peron tads from there for 1 dollar each last year and he is a nice bloke too

UuserMeLiam
frog
frog

Taddies

Postby UuserMeLiam » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:55 pm

Thnx for the tip!!
Going to call them see wht they have in stock both scales and tails and Fish palais, as i dont want dad to drive up there for nothing :)

Going with dad tmoz to look in some local shops.
CMon guys keep posting the shops that sell taddies!

Cheers,
Liam

UuserMeLiam
frog
frog

More TIPS!! Please :)

Postby UuserMeLiam » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:19 pm

Bump

antstorm
tadpole
tadpole

Re: Taddies

Postby antstorm » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:21 pm

UuserMeLiam wrote:Thnx for the tip!!
Going to call them see wht they have in stock both scales and tails and Fish palais, as i dont want dad to drive up there for nothing :)

Going with dad tmoz to look in some local shops.
CMon guys keep posting the shops that sell taddies!

Cheers,
Liam

ive spoken to the owner of pets everywhere on prospect rd and she will gladly get in ( or try to ) any frogs come summer , and taddies too
she just needs some notice

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:25 pm

Yeh seaview is the same

UuserMeLiam
frog
frog

Thanks

Postby UuserMeLiam » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:10 pm

Thanks guys for the recommendations,

I have bought 6 marsh frog tadpoles from 2 different stores.....
They seem to look a little different the 2 pairs of 3's as one pair has these odd clear looking dots on near to eye with about three going along the body and two going along the head of tadpoles..... They dont seem to have the golden flecks all over the body at all, they seem to black and a little longer..

Im not sure if they are a different species... the women said they had brown marsh frogs..... and the dude from the other shop new what he was talking about as he had some morphed taddies for sale... Any thoughts??

Well fortunatly enough next weekend dad, uncle and me will be headed of to Kypo forest (Not sure about the spelling) to see what frogs are breeding at this time of the year... Anyone know what kind of frogs will be there?? Or am i going to have to wait??'

Im not sure if i can take frogs or tadpoles from kypo??? Is it like a park?? Just wondering if i could take some specimens??

And yes in the future i will definantly be calling those places up to give them notice so i can get some frogs or taddies in thanks everyone!!!

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:33 am

I cant help you there with the taddies I haven't owned any yet.

But taking frogs from kypo forest is a big NO NO of you get caught your in trouble and have a big fine to pay off.

Most of the frogs spawn in spring and summer so there would be frogs for sale from january on wards. I missed out last year on sbtf and could only get taddies that was in april Of this year

UuserMeLiam
frog
frog

Kaipo

Postby UuserMeLiam » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:44 pm

Oh really??

R u sure because i dont think Kypo is a conservation park is it??

Eehh ive taken frogs from there before and not a problem :S
He was very cute, always croaking... And he was A SBTF

Because in SA arent u allowed to take taddies from the wild?

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:24 pm

If i recall its a national park to SA. kuitpo forest runs off it i think, i aint no expert on this because im a new comer in Adelaide. i red some stuff up on mount lofty rangers.

Taking frogs from the wild will only cause the spread of decease and wipe out other species of frogs

UuserMeLiam
frog
frog

Postby UuserMeLiam » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:50 pm

Ahh kk Ty Ford :)

I'll take that in consideration.. And im quite sure Kypo (Not write spelling XD) is a Reserve therefore i will probably need permission of the land owners/rangers if i am able to take some,, Tadpoles that is :) Ill just get my dad working on that tmoz hehe

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:58 pm

yeh i've tried that suggestion but it bounced back into my face lol.

What frogs do you have as "pets"???

UuserMeLiam
frog
frog

What frogs i have!

Postby UuserMeLiam » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:49 pm

I myself have 3 Southern Brown tree frogs, One male two females... i think
Also in this tank i have my 3 Eastern banjo frogs... I dont know how big they are ment to get but they are about the size of a 5cent piece.

I then have my 6 tadpoles which i bought recently :) I think they are Spotted marsh taddies as advertised... Except from one of the shops the taddies where brown marsh frogs... last time they advertised them they were Southern brown tree frogs for $20 EACH!!

I then have my 3 green tree frogs... soo cute hahaha and thats about my collection.

I also used to have 6 common froglets and unidentified taddies from a local pond.

Will post pictures ASAP, they always sleeping hate to wake them up XD

UuserMeLiam
frog
frog

Tadpoles

Postby UuserMeLiam » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:45 pm

Today thanks to Ford both of us have purchased Southern Brown tree frog tadpoles! although if u want some u may have to PM me or Fordel for where we got these from.. I will be posting a new thread in Keeping frogd about my new taddies and i will also post pics Hope you all view my thread!!

Im so happy i got 13 tadpoles and more than half already have backlegs! so hope to see you soon

Cheers everyone! Especially you MrFordel!!

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:56 pm

no problem mate, think you should actually thank *ADRIAN* he was the one that told me about them.

i got 4 SBTF taddies now in a small tank with a heater on at 20 degree's, just to speed up there cycle :-)

taniaaust1
tadpole
tadpole

Postby taniaaust1 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:35 pm

old post but maybe this info will help someone.

Pet Stock in Nourlunga always has tabpoles (I think they were nearly $4 each), someone breeds them indoors for them so they are available all year round.

I asked what the tabpoles were and got told they were local swamp frogs :roll: , so who knows what that is.. spotted marsh frogs?? (they said they were frogs which really like the water).

Anyway.. Im rather confused what my tabpoles are right now.. they are black tabpoles and they said the frogs get 3cm. A baby frog of these they had looked like a common froglet (crinia signifera) if Im remembering what I saw correctly.

Im going back to the shop in the next week or so with the frogs pictures from this site to see if I can figure it out.

jaystarrs
spawn
spawn

Postby jaystarrs » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:00 pm

There is a guy on Gumtree.com called Glenn he has lots of native frogs

Return to “Where can I ... ?”