Worming Salmon striped frog and what type of worms?

A big issue both in enclosures and in the wild.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

brookie
spawn
spawn

Worming Salmon striped frog and what type of worms?

Postby brookie » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:16 pm

I have 2 salmon striped frogs Ive had since tadpoles they are almost 3 years old and live in a natural vivarium. I Only feed the crickets. They have no contact with anything else or other frogs. Today i found around 5 or 6 worm type things in the water 3 were small like mosquito lava but their was 1 around 1 cm long they were highly wriggly and a grey color and they looked like they were munching on maybe something in the top of water or I'm not sure but they were in the top of water. I got the tweezers and killed 1 and the rest took off and hid under some rocks. Now I'm stressing that they could hurt my froggies as my frogs spend alot of time in the water at night. i drained the water out the best i could its a natural viv so its imposable to get every mil of water out and the coco peit is damp so chances are their are more. I would like to know what to do about this situation and how to worm my frogs to insure they are not harmed. They all look healthy still although i do not handle them so this is only what i can see with out poking and prodding them to much. I did not think to take a pic but i will be checking often to see if i see more. I read that people use Avitrol bird wormer, I would love to know how i go about doing this and what i need, Can i also worm the water in-case worms have stayed to? I am wondering on how much and all that stuff as i have no idea. I am freaking out because my frogs are my babys and the thought of something harming them is stressing me. anyone know what type of worms these are and what i need to do to solve my issue?? Do i need to redo my entire viv?

brookie
spawn
spawn

Postby brookie » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:22 pm

here is a pic of 1, its around 1/3 of a cm and it had lil tiny legs you can not see it very good in the pic.
Attachments
pic wormthing.png

Return to “Health and disease”