Plant sterilisation

A big issue both in enclosures and in the wild.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

TrevorV
spawn
spawn

Plant sterilisation

Postby TrevorV » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:05 pm

Hi,
This is my first post.
I have 6 northern green tree frogs and planning to make a paludarium/half half tank. I am In W.A. and the frogs are captive bred.
I am sourcing plants and wanting to know the best way to clean/sterilise the plants so they do not contaminate with fungus/bacteria/viruses/parasites etc.
Most of the plants I have seen come from nurseries with native frogs and do not want to introduce harmful pathogens to my frogs.
Am I being too paranoid?
Any suggestions?

kismetgecko
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby kismetgecko » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:58 pm

You're not being paranoid at all. It's very sensible. However, I'm probably not the best person to answer your question. I've taken to only using fake plants in my tanks because I can't come up with a method of disinfecting plants that I'm 100% confident about. I have encountered people who do this successfully though. At the very least, the usual suggestion is to wash all the dirt off the roots and re-pot them, but I'm not convinced this alone would be enough. I'm sure I've been told by some people that there is a betadine solution that you can use to soak them in, but as I don't know the details of the proportions and soaking times, I'm not much help.
Thanks for asking the question though, I'm looking forward to reading the responses :)
Jamie

Return to “Health and disease”