sick tabpole.. appears healthy except keeps floating

A big issue both in enclosures and in the wild.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

taniaaust1
tadpole
tadpole

sick tabpole.. appears healthy except keeps floating

Postby taniaaust1 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:59 am

My new tabpoles are all going great. 5 out of the 10 of them now have healthy looking arms and legs (but still a tail), 3 of them I dont know where they went (they may be frogs somewhere now or being in an outdoor pond maybe a bird got?) but today I found my littliest one (not close to getting arms or legs yet) floating.

I went to prod it and its active if something is about to get it, swimming down but after 5-10 seconds or so (as soon as it stops actively swimming) it will float back up, tail first. So Ive pulled it out of the pond to isolate it.

Ideas on what is most likely to be wrong with this little guy who other then a bit of a float appears healthy looking (it isnt skinny). Its not marked in any way at all so doesnt look like its had an injury (the mosquito fish havent been an issue, they havent been chasing it).

That brings me to a second question of a mistake Im trying to correct. I want to get the mosquito fish out of the frog pond so want to move them into a half wine barrel I got. Does anyone know of a place where I can buy a wine barrel liner at a reasonable price (to my shock the cheapest one I can find is $75 plus postage on top) so I can do a water garden in that? (my tabpoles/frogs arent tree ones so their eggs will end up being safe from mosquito fish there..and plan to separate the sexes of the unwanted fish so they dont breed and just naturally die out).
Last edited by taniaaust1 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

taniaaust1
tadpole
tadpole

Postby taniaaust1 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:09 am

I dont think its relevant but I did put some water in the pond last night ..and I found the sick tabpole this morn. (just a very large bucket which isnt much in a large bathtub half fill of water. I treated the water too to get rid of the cholorine etc and also added that stuff called bioactive for beneficial bacteria.. all things I usually do without any issues when I add water to the pond. So I doubt (unless it is something to do with the way I poured the water in).

taniaaust1
tadpole
tadpole

Postby taniaaust1 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:41 pm

That floating tabpole I had to isolate, I brought it inside and about 12-14hrs later it was good and could sit on the bottom of the container I'd put it in.. no struggle to go down and stay down anymore. So I went and put it back into the pond.

I wonder if had swallowed air or something thou it didnt look bloated. Anyway I thought I was going to have a dead tabpole on my hands so are so glad it came good itself as I still had not a clue what to do about it.

Return to “Health and disease”